Declare Your Major

Have you decided on a major yet?  Feel free to stop by your adviser or coach's office and work on putting together a plan for declaring a major as soon as possible.  Remember, your major is not forever!  It is merely a means to an end - a degree.  Choosing a major is an important decision, but it is not something to agonize over.  When you apply for a job ten years from now, your future employer will want to know what you accomplished for your previous employer, not what your major was.  Keep this in mind if you don't have the necessary pre-requisites for the exact major you had originally planned for, make another decision, and don't look back.  Declare it, and move on.

Use the information provided on these pages to assist you in making your MAJOR decision.

Click the above button for a convenient website that helps you connect majors with careers.  For each major that interest you, choose the information link to find an outline of common career areas, typical employers, and strategies designed to maximize career opportunities.

How to Declare Your Major

Declaring a major is a simple process; the student must follow these steps:

  1. To declare a major, a student must be in good academic standing.  In most cases, students need the minimum cumulative GPA of at least a 2.0.
  2. Students should talk with their advisors about their plans.
  3.  Students should check the transfer requirements for the new major in the Guidebook for Advising Undergraduate Students.

    A timeline is imposed to declare some majors talk with your adviser for more information.  Some majors also require a higher GPA or may require prerequisites.
  4.  If students meet the major requirements, they can apply for a change of major with the Declaration of Major, Minor, & Other Credentials Form
  5.  The form should be first taken to the department chairperson and then the new college dean for their respective signatures.
  6.  Once signatures have been obtained, the form needs to be returned to the Office of Undeclared Majors office in Horton Hall