Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies (DCP)
Please Note: We are not currently accepting applications for the HCA and TLA programs. We are examining and refashioning these programs, and we plan to offer them as a cohort program sometime in the near future.
Technical Leadership and Administration Concentration
The Technical Administration and Leadership program is primarily designed for students who have earned an associate's degree in a technical or industrial field and now want to gain the management, leadership, and communication skills to advance in their careers.
The program's core courses provide the opportunity to explore how a liberal arts education can enhance career experiences. The courses help students understand the structure of organizations, the behavior of individuals within organizations, and how to resolve conflict in order for organizations to function efficiently. The professional courses allow students to explore leadership, financial and legal aspects to organizational management, and other skills necessary for business leaders.
The electives provide students with options for exploring other areas or going into more depth in a particular area. The capstone experience brings it all together in applying skills to a major project.
Shippensburg University's degree completion program is designed to meet the needs of working adults who have 60 or more college credits and are returning to school after an extended period of time. The program is designed to build upon previous college experience and consists of core courses, professional courses, electives, and an internship or research project.
The program's core courses provide the opportunity to explore how a liberal education will enhance career opportunities. These courses will help students understand the structure of organizations, the behavior of individuals within organizations, and how to resolve conflict in order for organizations to function efficiently. The professional courses explore the legal, financial, resource, and strategic issues of health care management and administration. The electives enhance the educational experience and the internship or research project at the end of the program promotes the integration of theory practice.
- Completion of the 46-credit Technical Leadership and Adminstration program with a minimum of a 2.00 cumulative GPA
- Fulfillment of 48 credits of general education requirements
- Earning a minimum of 120 college/university credits
- 12 credits of skills classes, including courses in Technical Writing, Conflict Resolution, Information Technology, and management fundamentals
- 19 credits of core and foundations classes, with some flexibility possible upon advisement, which will include management and marketing classes, economics, communications classes, and other courses designed to provide a professional layering on top of the Associate's Degree in a technical field
- 12 credits of other professional electives based on the student's interests and career goals
- Capstone course in project management, directed toward the student's future goals
We recommended that students take a college-level algebra course before entering.
Most courses are offered on the Shippensburg Campus although some of the core courses may be available at other locations, such as HACC Gettysburg, in the evenings; and some courses may be online. Students should be able to complete the degree in 2 to 4 years, based on previous credits and work situation.
Individuals seeking admissions to the Degree Completion Program recognize that transfer credits will only be applicable to Degree Completion Program requirements. Degree Completion students who decide to change their major after matriculation will have their transfer credits re-evaluated accordingly.
Regularly admitted students with an interest in this major must meet the Degree Completion Program admissions requirements. Additional questions should be directed to the Degree Completion Program coordinator.
- Associate's degree or a minimum of 60 transferable college credits with a 2.0 cumulative grade point average authenticated by official transcripts
- Current resume indicating at least five years of documented work or volunteer experience
- Completion of goal statement
- Completion of application and $40 application fee
Contacts and Support
Office of Professional, Continuing, and Distance Education Studies
Office of Admissions
About the Program
College of Arts and Sciences