Health Care Administration Concentration
The Bachelor of Science (BS) in Health Care Administration is designed to meet the needs of working adults who have 60 or more college credits and significant work experience. The program builds upon previous college experience and consists of core courses, professional electives, general electives, and an internship or research project.
The program’s core courses provide students with key skills to enhance career opportunities. These courses also help students understand the structure of organizations, the behavior of individuals within organizations, and how to resolve conflict in order for organizations to function efficiently. The professional courses allow students to explore the legal, financial, resource, and strategic issues of health care management and administration. The electives give students the opportunity to enhance their educational experience, to customize it based on interests or career directions, and the internship or research project at the end of the program promotes the integration of theory and practice.
- Associate's degree or a minimum of 60 transferable college credits authenticated by official transcripts
- Current resume indicating at least five years of documented work or volunteer experience
- Completion of application and goal statement
- A 2.0 cumulative grade point average or above for transfer credits
- Completion of the 45-credit Health Care Administration program with a minimum of a 2.00 cumulative GPA
- Fulfillment of 48 credits of general education requirements
- Attainment of a minimum of 120 college/university credits
Foundation and Core Courses
3 credits in the foundation course
- HCA400 Introduction to Health Care Systems
12 credits of core courses
- ENG338 Technical Writing for the Professions
- ISM300 Information Technology and Business Operations
- MGT305 Organizational Behavior
- HCS385 Resolving Conflict through Communications
12 credits in health care professional courses
- HCA451 Legal Aspects of Health Care
- HCA452 Health Care Financial Management
- HCA453 Human Resources Management for Health Care Administrators
- HCA454 Health Care Strategic Management
12 credits of health care professional electives selected with advisement from an approved list of courses
6 credits of internship or completion of a professional research project
Schedule of Courses
The BS in Health Care Administration is organized so students can take 6 credits of core courses or professional courses during the evening or online each academic semester. Some courses are offered at the Dixon University Center in Harrisburg or HACC Gettysburg. Health care professional electives may be taken online or on campus.
Students may complete their remaining required general education or free elective courses at HACC Gettysburg or at Shippensburg University. Students may continue to take general education courses while they are matriculated in the Health Care Administration program or they may complete them after finishing major courses. There are no prerequisite courses required prior to enrollment in HCA400. It is recommended students take Algebra or Economics as part of the general education coursework.
Questions? Contact Us
Dr. David Kalist
Office of Admissions
About the program:
College of Arts and Sciences