Frequently Asked Questions

Here you'll find common questions and their answers about applying to Ship, paying for college, academics, and living on campus.

Do you offer tours of campus?

Shippensburg offers Daily Visits and Open Houses throughout the year. To learn more, view available visit dates, or register for a visit, go to our Visit page.

What is Ship's College Entrance Examination Board code?

Ship's CEEB number is 002657.

Does Ship have an application deadline?

Shippensburg University does not have an application deadline. We review applications year round, also known as "rolling admissions." Our application fee is $45.

How do I apply to Ship as a first year student?

You can find our admission process, online application, and required documents here

How do I apply for an application fee waiver?

Fee Waivers can be obtained from your High School Guidance Office.

If you are applying online and using a fee waiver, please complete the entire application and once prompted for payment, select "paying with a fee waiver." You must now mail your fee waiver to the Admissions Office before your application can be processed.

Do you require an essay or letters of recommendation?

Recommendation letters, resumes, and personal essays are recommended, but not required. If submitted, this information will be reviewed during the admissions process and will also be taken into consideration by our Scholarship Committee. There is NO specific recommendation form to be completed, but you can e-mail or mail your recommendation letters to our Admissions Office with your other required documents.

How can I check on the status of my application?

Go to our Admissions Portal and log in using the information you should have received via e-mail after you completed your application.  If all information has been received you will be notified by mail of a decision. 

You willnot be able to view your application status directly after you submit your online application. It takes at least two business days for your application fee to process and your application to load into our system.

What is the earliest I can apply for admissions?

Once your entry term's application is available online, you can apply at any time. We highly recommend students taking the SAT or ACT during their junior and senior year.

How can I confirm my acceptance and pay my enrollment deposit?

If you have been accepted, you must confirm your enrollment by carefully following the steps listed on our Confirm page.

My home address has changed. What do I do?

Incoming freshman should email their change of address information to our Admissions Office at

Once you have started taking classes at Ship, address changes go to the Office of Registrar.

What is Shippensburg University's financial aid code?

Ship's financial aid code is 003326. Please direct your financial aid questions to our Financial Aid Office at (717) 477-1131 or go to our Financial Aid page.

What is tuition at Ship?

Current tuition and fees, including room and board, can be found here. Questions regarding tuition and/or payment plans should be directed to our Student Accounts Office at 717-477-1211.

Are there scholarships available?

Ship has many scholarship opportunities, both merit and need based. Scholarships are available to freshman and upperclassman, as well as a wide variety of other forms of financial aid. Click here for a listing of scholarships or for financial aid information.

Do I need to apply for Scholarships?

No.  All applicants ranked in the upper 40 percent of their high school senior class and with combined SAT scores over 1000 will automatically be considered scholarships by a committee of faculty and administration. There is no separate scholarship application to complete.

When will I learn how much financial aid I will receive?

After your FAFSA has been submitted and you are admitted to the university, your acceptance letter will provide information on how to access our Student Aid Portal to review your financial information. Once the financial award information is available it will be posted on the portal.

Are jobs available on campus for students?

Yes. Part-time employment opportunities on and off campus are available through Federal and State work study programs. Students with demonstrated financial need are given priority in job placement. An effort is made to place as many students as possible who have desired work skills. Positions include work in administrative and faculty offices, the library, classes, University residence halls, and on the campus grounds. Additional student employment opportunities are available at the University Store and Campus Dining Services.

What high school courses should I take?

Ship does not require a specific set or number of high school courses, but  we do recommend that you take as many challenging courses as you can and recommend these guidelines.

Do you give college credits for Advanced Placement (AP) and College Level Examination Program (CLEP)?

Yes. To find out how many credits you can earn at Shippensburg University through AP and CLEP tests, click here.

How do I find out what credits transfers to Shippensburg?

See our Transfer page for more information.

Does Ship provide support services to students with IEPs and disabilities?

Yes. Our Office of Disability Services (ODS) provides accommodations and services to ensure equal educational access to otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities.  All students are encouraged to take advantage of the Learning Center located in Lehman Library on campus.

I would like to change my major. What do I do?

Email your request to the Admissions Office at Make sure to provide your full name and birth date. This prompts a review of your application to ensure that you meet the requirements for admissions into that major.

 If you are a current Ship student, you will need to complete a change of major form. These forms are available in your academic department office.

How do I select my minor?

Students can pursue a minor in a wide variety of academic disciplines. Once you begin your classes at Ship contact your academic department to declare your minor. If you need to change your minor contact your academic department.

Do you offer any courses online?

Yes, we offer several online courses each semester.

Am I required to live on Campus?

Yes. Entering freshman and transfer students having earned fewer than 30 undergraduate college-level credits are required to reside in university housing.

Exceptions to this policy include those students who live within 50 miles and reside full-time in the home of their parents or legal guardians, those who are 21 years of age or older, and/or legally married. 

Can I bring a car to campus?

Yes. On campus parking is available for all freshman and transfer students. You must purchase a parking decal from campus security

How do students without cars get around campus?

The majority of students walk to where they need to go on campus, and the town of Shippensburg is within walking distance from campus. Students can also use the Raider Regional Transit-RRT, a local bus system serving Shippensburg University and the Shippensburg community. Additionally, we offer a shuttle service that will take you around campus as well as through the Shippensburg community, to local shopping centers and the regional Chambersburg Mall.

Does Ship offer intramural and club sports?

Yes. Shippensburg University recognizes more than 100 student centered clubs and social organizations. By joining one of these groups, students have an opportunity to meet new people with similar interests.