Welcome! We are pleased that you are interested in our BA Art degree program. It is important to us that we assist each prospective student in identifying the area of interest he or she has in the visual arts, and in what career direction he or she wishes to pursue. To help us help you, we require an Art Portfolio and a Statement of Interests.
The Art Portfolio:
Below, under "The Art Portfolio Requirements", you will find a series of art studio projects and the Statement of Interests. It is the successful completion and submission of these items that will complete the Art Portfolio requirement.
To be successful, you will need to carefully read and competently complete all parts of the Art Portfolio, and the Statement of Interests. Once the art projects are completed you will photograph or scan the art work, and then send the jpg. images, and the Statement of Interests to firstname.lastname@example.org . Both the Art Portfolio and the Statement of Interests will be reviewed by the Art & Design Department Review Committee.
The Art Portfolio will demonstrate your ability to be creative, and in doing so, share with us your current skills. The Statement of Interests is requested so we can get a sense for your career interests and evaluate your writing skills. Your creativity, the quality of your art work, and the content of your Statement of Interests will assist us in judging your possible success in our art degree program.
The Art & Design Review Committee, on average, will respond to you in an email within two weeks of your Art Portfolio/Statement of Interests submission. The email will inform you of your status.
All prospective Art & Design students (including transfers; both external and Shippensburg students transferring from another major) should submit their Art Portfolio and Statement of Interests between September 3 and December 3 to be admitted in the Spring semester, and between Jan. 15 and June 1, to be admitted for the Fall semester. These dates should be met in order to maximize the student's eligibility for financial aid and scholarships. A student who submits a portfolio during the Art Portfolio Review period, and who is accepted into the art or art education major, will be given scheduling priority with required art courses.
The Art & Design Department may review and accept some applicants outside of the assigned Art Portfolio Review periods in rare and unusual circumstances.
Every portfolio MUST contain, at a minimum, 3 of the 5 projects listed below. Prospective students are encourage to complete all 5 projects if possible. All projects will be evaluated on: creativity, skill, and craft.
The Art Portfolio Requirements:
Select 3 projects from the 5 listed below. We strongly suggest selecting 2 projects that are two-dimensional and 1 that is three-dimensional. Complete these projects, along with your Statement of Interests, and then submit both to our Portfolio Review Committee.
Select two of the following three projects:
1. "Rendering a Still Life" - Concentrate on composition, perspective, and observation. Draw a simple still life arrangement of forms (such as cups, bowls, and fruit). Create the illusion of Light (Value) with the use of graphite pencils. Use a single light source (such as a desk lamp) on your still life.
2. "Drawing from Life" - Draw a portrait of a friend or relative using a realist approach. Utilize traditional media such as a graphite or charcoal pencil. Draw from life! DO NOT work from photographs. Use a strong light source in this drawing. Do not use a color medium for this drawing.
3. "Mixed Media Self-portrait" - Combine media of your choice (for example, graphic design, painting, drawing, photo collage) to create a very expressive self-portrait. Your self-portrait should convey your emotions and perhaps reveal your inner self. You may use Color for this work.
Along with the ability to create 2D works of art, the Department of Art & Design places equal importance on your ability to work three dimensionally. Please select a minimum of one project from the following:
4. "Rendering an Object in Space" - Select one of your favorite shoes; analyze the shoe concentrating on line and negative space. Recreate the shoe on a larger scale using wire. Keep it simple, use wire for your only medium and pliers as your only tool.
5. "Innovative Outdoor Creation" - Using no more than $10 worth of any material, create the largest 3-Dimensional outdoor work you can that seems to defy gravity. You may interpret this in any way you wish. Document your creation in photographs.
Statement of Interests
Please write and submit, as an attached document, a one-page statement, double spaced, as to why you want to pursue the Art or Art Education major. Please express your goals, objectives, and why you are passionate about art as a career. Your Statement of Interests will demonstrate your writing skills, and SHOULD be free of errors in spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Please submit all portfolio projects TOGETHER with the Statement of Interests. Be sure to include your Name, Address and Email Address on ALL submitted materials. The maximum attachment size is 10MB, so your submitted jpegs should be no larger than 1MB.
Please Note: Submission of any and all materials for the Art & Design Admissions Portfolio Requirement is also your acceptance of the Shippensburg University Dishonesty Pledge. If any of your submitted work is not created or authored by you, you will be in violation of the pledge and your application will not be accepted.
Dishonesty Pledge: “On my honor as a student, I acknowledge that I have neither given nor received any unauthorized assistance on this examination/assignment’ nor have I witnessed any such unethical behavior."
Academic Dishonesty and Plagiarism: If you are unfamiliar with the academic dishonesty and plagiarism statement in the Shippensburg University catalog please read the same. Any student violating these stated policies will be subject to the sanctions listed under penalties.
If you have difficulty with the on-line submission process, you may hand deliver or mail your CD with your images and the Statement of Interests to the following address:
William Whiteley, Art & Design Chairperson
209 Huber Art Center - (Attn: Art Portfolio)
1871 Old Main Drive
Shippensburg Pa 17257
Please note: The CD will not be returned.
Please email the completed Art Portfolio and Statement of Interests to: email@example.com