Teacher Certification Criminal Background Check
A guide for Shippensburg University Teacher Certification candidates:Background Check Guide
Required Clearances for All Field Experiences
Currently valid copies of the following 6 items must be on file in theappropriate officeeach semester before any student enters any public school representing Shippensburg University.
- TB Results (PPD Mantoux test now required): Valid for two years from date of test. Must be valid through last day of the field experience/student teaching semester. Available through Etters Health Center. See current TB Testing schedule here.
- Act 34 Criminal History Check : Act 34 is valid for one year from date on clearance. Must be valid through last day of the field experience/student teaching semester. Register at https://epatch.state.pa.us.
- Act 151 Child Abuse Clearance – Act 151 is valid for one year from date on clearance. Must be valid through last day of the field experience/student teaching semester. The form is available at http://www.dhs.state.pa.us/.
- Act 114 FBI Clearance: Act 114 is valid as long as a student is continuously enrolled as a student at Shippensburg University. Register at http://www.pa.cogentid.com.
- Professional Liability Insurance: Must be valid through last day of the field experience/student teaching semester. Student membership in PSEAor KEYTAprovides this insurance but membership is not mandatory. Insurance is mandatory.
- Act 24 Arrest/Conviction Report: Must be signed each year. The form is available in SPH 354 or atArrest and Conviction Report Form
Student Teachers: TB Test (2015-2016)
Tuberculosis (TB) testing times are listed below. Please call the health center to schedule your TB test during one of the available times. During yourappointment for a test placement, you will also need to schedule a follow-up appointment 48-72 hours later for a nurse to interpret and record the result. If you do not attend the test reading component of this process, the test will need to berepeated and you will be charged a $20 fee for the repeat test.
TB Testing Days: Tuesday and Wednesday (whileclasses are in session)
TB Testing Hours:9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Location: Etter Health Center, McLean Hall II, Ground Level Floor (Adams Drive) - Call to make an appointment at (717) 477-1458.