Social Networking: Make It Work For You
Social Media is Everywhere!
Although we live in a tech-savvy world, it is still important to use discretion with technology, especially when it comes to career plans and aspirations.
For information and tips on developing a professional social media presence, view:
"Like" the Career Center on Facebook
Edit your profile
- Clean up the content on your profile
- Keep negativity (employer and personal life) offline
- Monitor comments, photos (and tags) made by friends
- Carefully consider privacy settings
- Don't mention your job search if you're still employed
Create a LinkedIn Registration
- Currently 161,000,000+ users (as of March 2012)
- Start building your profile
Use LinkedIn to:
- Stay current on career-related trends and information
- Network with alumni, employers and more
- Find information on potential internship and job opportunities
Join the "Shippensburg University Career Network"
- Your opportunity to connect with other students, employers, alumni, and faculty
- Click on the "Groups" tab
- Type "Shippensburg University Career Network" in the Groups Search box
- Contact the Career Center with questions regarding the "Career Network"
Create Your Brand
- Use your LinkedIn URL to promote you
- Add LinkedIn information to your email signature
For more information and tips on using LinkedIn, view:
- Not the best idea for your job search
- If you're "tweeting", employers are searching your content
- Make sure all of your "tweets" are professional
Checklist: Sweep Your Web Trail
(Make sure your online profile is spotless before employers view it)