Professor Holly Ott
Visiting Full-Time Faculty,
Interim Internship Coordinator
Phone: (717) 477-1652
Office: Rowland Hall 129
"As future professionals and scholars in the mass communications field, it is imperative that students understand the importance of experiential learning. By linking knowledge learned in the classroom to real-world application, students will enter the media industry as informed, engaged and strategic media consumers and professionals."
Holly Ott joined the department as a full-time visiting faculty member in fall
2012. She teaches in the public relations emphasis. Prof.Ott served as a
part-time adjunct faculty member in 2009. Her most recent professional
experience includes facilitating the academic internship program in the Office
of Experiential Learning and Career Management at Millersville University. Her
professional experience also includes work in the nonprofit sector, extensive
event-planning experience and serving as the administrator for the Mid-Atlantic
Regional Archives Conference professional organization, based out of Dickinson
College. She has experience in website design, writing and editing for the Web
and managing social media. Her main research agenda focuses on corporate social responsibility, sustainability communication, social media, and media effects.
Ph.D. Candidate, The
Pennsylvania State University, State College, Pennsylvania
Master of Science in
Communication Studies, Shippensburg University, Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Bachelor of Arts in
Communication/Journalism, Shippensburg University, Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
to Mass Communication, Media Writing, Public Relations Research &
Campaigns, Practicum, Women & the Media, Strategic Corporate Social
- Ott, H.K., Vafeiadis, M., Kumble, S., & Waddell, T.F. (accepted/forthcoming). The effect of
message interactivity on product attitudes and purchase intentions.
Journal of Promotion Management.
Waters, R.D., &
Ott, H.K. (2014). Corporate social responsibility and the
nonprofit sector:Assessing the thoughts and practices across three
Public Relations Journal, 8(3).
Refereed Papers and Selected Presentations
- Defining the “R” in CSR: A study of students’ perceptions of CSR communication in the classroom, Public Relations Society of America International Conference, Educators Academy, Washington, D.C., 2014.
- Web usability and trends in nonprofit health organizations: Implications for engaging publics and ensuring accessibility for all, Public Relations Society of America International Conference, Educators Academy, Washington, D.C., 2014.
- The more informative, the better:
The effect of message interactivity on product attitudes and purchase
Association for Education in Journalism & Mass Communication Annual
Conference, Public Relations Division, Montreal, CAN, August 2014.
- How "social" should social media be? The
effects of companies' social media responsiveness on consumers' attitudes
and purchase intentions, The Pennsylvania State University's 29th Annual
Graduate Exhibition, State College, PA, April 2014.
- Creating synergy through collaboration:
How peer tutoring has empowered journalism students, Mid-Atlantic Writing Centers
Association Conference, Salisbury, MD, April 2014.
- Strategic marketing through social
networks: The effects of interactivity on consumers' attitudes and
Communication Technology Division of the Association for Education in
Journalism and Mass Communication Midwinter Conference, Norman, OK,
- Learning together: A collaborative
approach to using effective tutoring strategies in a Media Writing
Faculty Conference on Teaching Excellence, Philadelphia, PA, January 2014.
- Understanding public relations
through practicum: a peer-to-peer and experiential learning model, Public Relations Society of
America International Conference, Philadelphia, PA, October 2013.
- Effective strategies for using CSO
as a marketing tool,
Career Services Online National Conference, Austin, TX, May 2012.
- Brand yourself, Cooperative Education and
Internship Association National Conference, San Antonio, TX, April 2011.
- Betsy Plank Center Research Award, 2014
- Top Student Research Paper Award, 2014
Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, Public Relations Division
- Kappa Tau Alpha Research Award, 2014
- Arthur W. Page Center for Integrity in Public Communication Research Grant Recipient, 2014
Association for Education in Journalism and Mass
Public Relations Society of America (PRSA)
Public Relations Society of America Educators Academy