A core component within our mission is our commitment to diversity. To emphasize this commitment, the University Counseling Center developed a distinct diversity statement which guides and informs our mission.
Based on a commitment to student learning and social, personal, and ethical development, our mission evolves from that of the university. We foster self-understanding and well-being of students, faculty, staff, and the community through the following:
- Individual counseling, group counseling, and services that are responsive to the diversity of students experiencing ongoing or situational, psychological, or behavioral difficulties.
- Crisis intervention and emergency coverage either directly or through cooperative arrangements with other resources on campus or in the surrounding area.
- Programming focused on the development needs of students that maximize their potential benefit from an academic experience.
- Consultative services to members of the university community that make the environmental beneficial to the intellectual, emotional, and physical development of students.
- Research and evaluation services with the goal of improving the effectiveness of these services.
- Training, professional development, or continuing experiences for staff, interns, practicum students and others in the university community.
We respect and promote the dignity and worth of all individuals and embrace human diversity within a warm, accepting, and confidential environment. Students' development as citizens of the immediate and larger community will be promoted through professional, ethical, quality counseling, and educational services.
Our Statement on Diversity
The University Counseling Center recognizes that multi-dimensional diversity enriches the campus community and enhances opportunities for human understanding, both of which contribute to the learning environment for all. Therefore, we pledge to provide college counseling services that nurture environments where similarities and differences among people are recognized, respected, and honored.