Connection Alcohol and Other Drug Program Services
Brief Alcohol Screening and Intervention for College Students (B.A.S.I.C.S.)
How it works:
Students are referredeither bymedical, housing, disciplinary, or self referrals to the Connection Program.TheBASICS processis a two meeting program that uses a harm reduction approach thataims to motivate students to reduce risky behaviors rather than focus on specific drinking goals.
- Increases students' awareness of the risks associated with alcohol and/or other drug use
- Provides students with information on alcohol and it's effects on the body
- Fosters safer alcohol use choices
- Students gain increased awareness of alcohol-impaired choices that can lead to health problems, social difficulties, and/or legal problems
Early Intervention Groups
How it works:
Early Intervention Groups (EIG) provide support and education for students involved in high-risk incidents or who simply want peer support in making positive changes in their lives. These groups meet for one hour aweek for five weeks, are co-facilitated by Connection staff members, are closed meetings,and consist of approximately 5-10 college students.
- The Stages of Change and Developing an Action Plan
- Risk Factors and Progression of Use
- Identifying "Triggers" and Managing Stress
- Peer Pressure and Campus Climate Issues
- Effective Communication and Refusals
- Positive ways toRewardSuccesses
- Identifying Needs, Social Supports, and Referral Resources
We have a variety of information about alcohol and other drugs, including online resources and assessment tools to help students learn more about their own personal experiences.
Connections staff can provide referrals to professional assessments at community agencies that are able to determine an individual student's personal level of need in terms of support services and/or possible treatment.
Staff can also provide referral recommendations to numerous campus support departments that may be of interest or need for students such as: Career Development Center, Counseling Center, Learning Center, Women's Center, Etter Health Center, and more.
Old Main 210A
Old Main 210B
210 Old Main (2nd Floor)
1871 Old Main Dr.
Shippensburg, PA 17257