Because of your regular contact with students, faculty are often among the first to notice that a student is having personal problems. While you are not expected to take on the role of counselor, you may be well positioned to connect a student to available help.
Potential Classroom Warning Signs of an Alcohol or Other Drug Problem
- Smelling of alcohol during the day
- Appearing under the influence during class.
- Expressed concern from others because of the usage.
- Blackouts (loss of memory) from alcohol or drug use.
- Missed coursework or classes due to alcohol or other drug use.
You can refer students at: https://portal.ship.edu/web/home-community
Faculty and Staff Access
Faculty Step 1: Go to the myShip Portal
Faculty Step 2: Enter your Ship ID and password
Faculty Step 3: Go to Faculty Tools, Student Information
You will see a link near the top of that list: Student Success Collaborative Campus - NEW. Click on the link to access the SSC Campus resources.
For more information on how to navigate the Student Success Collaborative: