At Shippensburg University, we care about the long-term success of our students inside and outside of our campus community. With this in mind, Shippensburg University created the Ship CARES team to make early contact with students experiencing challenges that impede their success during their time in college.
The Ship CARES team is led by Dr. David Lovett, Dean of Students at Shippensburg University, and is comprised of multiple stakeholders from different resources and departments across campus. The Ship CARES team meets on a weekly basis to discuss the success of our students and different paths for individual students to become successful at Ship.
To address and provide personal contact for situations, Felicia Shearer, Early Alert Coordinator (717-477-1396), assisted by Curtis Kurtz, Residence Director for Academic Success and Student Outreach (717-477-4200) will be monitoring the Ship CARES referral system. Upon referral to the Ship CARES team, the student will be contacted by either Felicia or Curtis and may be brought into a meeting to determine the best avenue of support for the struggles they are experiencing on campus. Additionally, individual cases may be brought to the Ship CARES weekly team meetings to be further discussed among all student stakeholders to ensure students are being guided toward receiving the appropriate support.
There is no matter that is considered too small to submit a referral to Ship CARES. A list of reasons that you may consider submitting a referral includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Regular or reoccurring absences from class
- Lessened quality or quantity of classwork
- Change in academic performance
- Student struggles to stay awake or pay attention in class
- Worrisome changes in hygiene or physical appearance
- Dramatic change in energy levels
- Signs of cutting, personal violence, or self-harm
- Known abuse of drugs and alcohol
- Feeling of isolation or disconnection from peers
- Lack of responsiveness
- Threatening online postings
- Obsession with violence, death or suicidal ideations
- Regular or unusual financial difficulties
- Noticeable change in emotion due to family problems or difficulties
Submit a referral to the Ship CARES team. The Ship CARES referral system is not monitored 24 hours a day. In case of an emergency, please contact Shippensburg University Police (717-477-1444) or 911 immediately.