Information for Family and Visitors
to Spring Undergraduate Commencement
May 9, 2015
- Inclement Weather Notification & Plans: Information about commencement will be available on Hotline (717) 477‑1200 beginning May 8, and will be updated as needed. Final information will be available by 7:00 a.m. May 9. Hotline, the university’s website, and the university’s Facebook and Twitter accounts are the official sources of information about commencement.
In the event of inclement weather, commencement will be held in Heiges Field House in two separate ceremonies based on colleges. Graduates of the John L. Grove College of Business and the College of Education & Human Services will participate at 11:00 a.m. Graduates of the College of Arts & Sciences will participate at 3:00 p.m. Tickets are required for both indoor ceremonies.
In case of inclement weather, the decision to move indoors will be made as soon as possible, even as early as Friday, May 8. Individuals may call Hotline at
(717) 477-1200 about any possible changes due to weather. This information will also be posted on the university’s website and Facebook.
- Tickets — No tickets are required to attend the ceremony if outdoors. Seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Visitors are asked to be seated no later than 10:30 a.m. This will help ensure a smooth start to the program. Seating is on bleachers without backs.
If the ceremony is moved indoors due to weather, tickets will be required. Each graduate will receive tickets for their guests and ONLY TICKET HOLDERS WILL BE PERMITTED INTO THE FIELD HOUSE.
The number of tickets each graduate receives will be determined and announced in late April based on the total number of graduates. Tickets will be distributed at the University Store. Identification is required to pick up tickets and graduates must sign that they are in receipt of tickets. NO TICKETS WILL BE MAILED. Tickets do not guarantee a specific seat as seating is on a first-come, first-served basis.
A “will-call” arrangement is available for graduates unable to visit the bookstore before May 9. Graduates should email email@example.com requesting tickets be held in the graduate’s name for pick-up. If the graduate wishes to have a family member pick the tickets up, then that specific family members must be indicated as well. Identification is needed.
Any graduate who does not need the all the allotted tickets are asked to only take what is needed and leave the extras at the bookstore. Extra tickets will be distributed on a first-come, first served basis to other graduates but will be limited to two.
Alternate viewing locations, such as in the Ceddia Union Building, will be available and identified if the ceremony is moved indoors.
- Parking — Parking will be restricted to designated areas. University Police will direct family and guests to parking areas. Handicap parking will be available behind Heiges Field House.
- Admission — Gates to Seth Grove Stadium open at 9:00 a.m. for guests. The academic procession begins promptly at 11:00 a.m.; the ceremony should end by 1:00 p.m. Light refreshments will be available. If the ceremony is moved indoors, guests are asked to be seated 30 minutes prior to the start of their respective ceremony.
- Guests with special needs — Graduates should make arrangements for seating for guests with special needs in writing by May 1. This request must be made by the graduate from his or her ship.edu email account and sent to Robin Maun at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the guest's name and the name of one person who will sit with him/her. Please indicate the specific special need and if your guest will use a wheelchair. An interpreter (signer) will be at the ceremony.
- Restrooms — Restrooms are located under the grandstand and may be accessed at either end only. Additional restrooms are adjacent to the visitor bleachers. If needed, upon arrival to campus, restrooms are also available in the Ceddia Union Building.
- University Store — Store hours May 9 are 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Photographs — Family and guests are not permitted on the field or near the stage to photograph graduates. A professional photographer from Grad Images will photograph each graduate as he or she receives congratulations from President Harpster. The firm will contact the graduates by mail concerning interest in purchasing photos. To pre-register for commencement proofs and receive a coupon, visit GradImages.com/Preregistration.
- Alternate viewing — The ceremony will be broadcast off-campus via the local Comcast cable system on channel 21.
- Alcohol – Possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages are prohibited. Beverages will be confiscated and violators will be evicted from the facility.
For further information, please contact Robin Maun, Commencement Committee chair, at (717) 477-1302, or by e-mail at email@example.com.