Types of Aid:



The Federal School Code for Shippensburg University is 003326.

Students should complete an electronic Master Promissory Note (eMPN) in order to borrow a Federal Direct Loan or a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan at www.studentloans.gov.

Parents may complete an eMPN in order to borrow a Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan after May 31 at www.studentloans.gov.

Dates & Deadlines

Prospective and returning students should complete the FAFSA as soon as possible.

spacer image

Contact Us

Due to federal privacy laws, you must call (717) 477-1131 for individual student information.

General financial aid questions can be addressed by e-mail at finaid@ship.edu. Please provide the student's Shippensburg University ID (if applicable) in all e-mails. 

Fax: (717) 477-4028

spacer image

Related Links

Go to FAFSA 

Academic Calendar 

Semester Information 

How to Pay for College (college.gov) 

spacer image

Undergraduate Students

SAP Requirements

  • Maintain a 1.7 cumulative GPA during your first 3 terms of enrollment.
  • Maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA during your fourth term of enrollment and beyond.
  • Complete (pass) at least 67% of credits attempted. (All attempted hours are counted, including transfer hours, classes from which a student withdrew after the drop/add period, and any failed classes. All credits are counted whether or not financial aid was received.)

    EXAMPLE: If you have attempted 30 credits, and have passed 21 of them, you have passed 70% of your credits. Alternately, if you attempted 30 credits and passed only 18, you have earned only 60% of your credits and would not be making Satisfactory Academic Progress.

Maximum Time Limit

Federal guidelines state a student can attempt no more than 150% of the number of credits needed to graduate. The total number of credits needed to complete the undergraduate program at Shippensburg is 120 credits. Therefore, students may attempt no more than 180 credits (150% of 120) before exceeding maximum time frame.

  • All attempted hours are counted, including transfer hours, classes from which a student withdrew after the drop/add period, and any failed classes. All credits are counted whether or not financial aid was received.

Review and Notification

  • Satisfactory Academic Progress will be reviewed at the end of each semester (fall and spring and after the final summer term). Students (previously in good standing) who have failed to make SAP will first be given a WARNING TERM of aid eligibility. No appeal is needed for a Warning Term.
  • Students should work diligently to resolve their SAP deficiency during their Warning Term. The purpose of a Warning Term is to allow a student who has failed one or more of the SAP components an opportunity to regain compliance with the SAP requirements for their next term of enrollment. Students who are out of compliance for one or more components of SAP after their Warning Term are ineligible for further financial aid until all deficiencies are remedied, or they submit a successful appeal (see APPEALS below).
  • Notification of ineligibility is e-mailed to the student (to the official Shippensburg University e-mail address) and may be mailed to the student's permanent address at the student's written request.

Regaining Eligibility for Financial Aid

  • The student may resolve GPA and/or Credit hour deficiencies by taking courses on their own (no federal aid).
  • Cumulative GPA can only be improved by taking courses at Shippensburg University.
  • Credits earned deficiencies (pace) may be made up with credits earned at Shippensburg or another approved university (see your academic advisor).
  • It is the student's responsibility to notify the Financial Aid Office once grades have been transferred from another institution. We cannot adjust financial aid awards until the credits appear on your transcript at Shippensburg. You will need to contact the Dean of your particular school to have your grades reviewed and entered onto your Shippensburg transcript.
  • If extenuating circumstances exist, the student may file an appeal, and if the appeal is granted, may have federal funding reinstated.


Federal regulations allow for students to appeal the loss of their financial aid. (NOTE: An appeal to have Financial Aid reinstated is separate from appealing to be academically reinstated if you are dismissed from the university.) Financial Aid appeals will be considered only if a student's failure to comply with one or more areas of SAP is due to events beyond the student’s control, such as death of an immediate family member, or severe illness or injury of the student that results in a substantial amount of missed time from classes.

To appeal the loss of aid students must submit the following:

    1. The Academic Progress Appeal Form, which can be downloaded from Forms and Links on the Financial Aid homepage.
    2. A letter of appeal, typed and no longer than one page, that explains 1) why he or she failed to make satisfactory progress and 2) what has changed in the student’s situation that will allow him or her to make satisfactory progress at the next evaluation.
    3. Written documentation of the special circumstance(s) from a third party NOT related to the student. NOTE: If the special circumstance involves an injury or illness, we must receive a letter from the doctor’s office, on their letterhead, corroborating your claim. Copies of prescriptions or doctor’s chart notes will not be accepted.

Students who have their appeals granted and have been evaluated by the Appeals Committee as being able to regain compliance with all components of SAP within the next term of enrollment will be placed on PROBATION and will receive aid for one additional term only. This one term of aid will be called the student’s Probation Term. (Aid awards may show a full year of aid, but the second term will NOT be disbursed until the student is reviewed.)

Students who have their appeals granted but have been evaluated by the Appeals Committee to be ineligible to regain compliance with all components of SAP within the next term of enrollment will be required to submit an Academic Plan. Students who are required to submit an Academic Plan will be sent an email with a link to the Academic Plan form. The academic plan (to be developed with your academic advisor or Associate Academic Dean) must bring you back in to compliance with the SAP policy and must specify your academic performance requirements (credits earned and term GPA) for each term of enrollment covered by the plan. The Financial Aid Office must approve all academic plans before a student's aid is reinstated. Students on PROBATION with an academic plan MUST meet the terms of their Academic Plan each term or the student will lose eligibility for any additional federal aid.

All students on financial aid probation will have their SAP reviewed after their probation term to determine if they are in compliance with the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy. Students who fail to regain compliance with all components of SAP after their probation period are ineligible for further financial aid. Subsequent appeals for additional terms of aid after failing to regain compliance during the probation term will NOT be considered unless there are HIGHLY unusual circumstances.

If you are experiencing academic difficulties we strongly encourage you to seek tutoring assistance. This service is offered free of charge through the Learning Center which is located on the first floor of the Lehman Memorial Library. For an appointment please contact their office at (717) 477-1420.

NOTE: Due to FERPA regulations, we cannot give this information to anyone but the student, so please do not have your parents or anyone else call on your behalf. You may view more information about FERPA from the U.S. Department of Education. Be aware that our Authorization to Release Information Form used by the Financial Aid Office does not authorize us to release this information to a parent or any other individual.

PHEAA State Grant Academic Progress for Undergraduate Students

In order for full-time students to make satisfactory academic progress for the PHEAA state grant program, the student must pass at least 24 new credits each year. None of the credits counted can be from a course that the student is repeating if they previously passed it with a "D" or better grade. (If you are retaking a course which you failed previously, or received a "W" for withdrawing from the class, that can be counted as a "new" credit for PHEAA). Students can use credits in the summer to attain the credits needed for academic progress for the following year. Examples follow.

  • Student registers for 12 credits in the fall semester but only passes 9 credits. Student then registers for and earns 15 credits during the spring term. The student is still maintaining academic progress for PHEAA Grant (9 + 15 = 24).
  • Student earns 9 credits in the fall, 9 credits in the spring and registers for and earns 6 credits in the summer. Student is eligible for PHEAA the following year.
  • Student earns 12 credits in the fall but 3 of those credits are for a course the student took before and passed by earning a “D.” The student earns 12 credits in the spring for a total of 24 credits. The student is NOT making progress under PHEAA guidelines since 3 of the 24 credits are for a course already passed once.

Half-time students should consult a financial aid representative for details on their progress requirements.

Students are only eligible to receive a PHEAA State Grant for a maximum of 8 full-time semesters.

Printer Friendly Version