Types of Aid:



The Federal School Code for Shippensburg University is 003326.

Students should complete an electronic Master Promissory Note (eMPN) in order to borrow a Federal Direct Loan or a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan at www.studentloans.gov.

Parents may complete an eMPN in order to borrow a Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan after April 1st at www.studentloans.gov.

Dates & Deadlines

Prospective and returning students should complete the FAFSA as soon as possible.

spacer image

Contact Us

Due to federal privacy laws, you must call (717) 477-1131 for individual student information.

General financial aid questions can be addressed by e-mail at finaid@ship.edu. Please provide the student's Shippensburg University ID (if applicable) in all e-mails. 

Fax: (717) 477-4028

spacer image

Related Links

Go to FAFSA 

Academic Calendar 

Semester Information 

How to Pay for College (college.gov) 

spacer image

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for Financial Aid 2011-2012


SAP for 2012-2013 


 Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements for Federal Aid 2011-2012:   

*Programs affected: Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Federal Direct loans (both subsidized and unsubsidized), Federal Perkins Loans, Federal PLUS loans, Federal Work Study (FWS).

SAP is defined as sufficiently moving toward successful completion of degree requirements.  Current federal regulations require the university to establish Standards of Academic Progress in the following areas:

Cumulative GPA  
Hours Earned 
Maximum Time Frame 

Financial Aid Recipients must maintain satisfactory academic progress in all three areas whether or not aid was received in the past. 


Requirements for Undergraduate Students   Requirements for Graduate Students  Policies That Apply to ALL Students 


UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS:  Standards of Academic Progress (SAP) Requirements   

 Full-time students must: 

  • Complete 24 new credits per year.
  •  Repeated courses count as new credits only if the student originally received an "F" in the course, or withdrew ("W") from the class.
  • Courses with a previous grade of "D" do not count as new credits unless the course catalog specifically states that a higher grade is required for that particular class for a prerequisite or major.  
  • Shippensburg University defines an Academic year to be not less than 30 weeks of instructional time in which a full time student is expected to complete 24 semester credit hours. 
  • Maintain a 1.7 cumulative GPA as a freshman (first year) student. 
  • Maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA as a sophomore, junior, or senior (second year and beyond) student. 

Part-time students must: 

  • Meet identical minimum GPA requirements.
  • Half-Time (6 – 11 credits) must pass 12 new credits per year.
  • Less than Half-Time (5 credits or less) must complete all credits attempted.

Maximum Time Limit:

Students must complete their degree requirements within 150% of the published length of their academic program.

  • Shippensburg University sets the maximum time limit for federal aid at 12 full time semesters. 
  • All attempted hours are counted, including transfer hours, whether or not financial aid was received. 

Annual Review and Notification - Current Policy (2011-12)
           *Policy is under review for the 2012-2013 year given new federal regulations

  • A year-end review is completed at the end of each spring semester.
  • Students who are out of compliance for one or more components of  SAP are ineligible for further financial aid until all deficiencies are remedied.
  • Written notification of ineligibility is emailed to student and may be mailed to the student's permanent address at the student's written request.

Regaining Eligibility for Financial Aid:

  • The student may resolve GPA and/or Credit hour deficiencies by taking courses on their own (no federal aid).
  •  Cumulative GPA can only  be improved by taking courses at Shippensburg University.  You must notify the Financial Aid Office that coursework was completed that resolves your cumulative GPA deficiency so that your aid award can be reviewed. 
  • Hours earned deficiencies may be made up with credits earned at Shippensburg or another "approved" university (see your academic advisor).
  • It is the student's responsibility to notify the Financial Aid Office once grades have been transferred from another institution.  We cannot adjust financial aid awards until the credits appear on your transcript at Shippensburg.  You will need to contact the Dean of your particular school to have your grades reviewed and entered onto your Shippensburg transcript.
  • If extenuating circumstances exist, the student may file an appeal to have federal funding reinstated.


  • Federal regulations allow for standards to be waived based on a special circumstance appeal.
  • Appeal information will be provided with student notification of Satisfactory Academic Progress deficiencies.
  • Appeals will be considered if a student's failure to comply with one or more areas of Satisfactory Academic Progress is due to events beyond the student's control.
  • Students must provide written documentation of the special circumstance(s).
  • The Academic Progress Appeal Form can be downloaded from the "Forms" tab.
  • Under new federal guidelines, students who have appealed and had financial aid reinstated, are allowed to receive aid for one additional term only.  The student's Satisfactory Academic Progress will be reviewed after this one term (called the "Probation Term") to determine if they have regained Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).  If the student fails to successfully complete the probation term, the student will be required to amend his or her original appeal, outlining why s/he has been unable to regain SAP and explaining what changes the student has made to ensure academic success (compliance with the SAP Policy) at the next evaluation.  Students in this situation will also be required to have an academic plan that will bring the student back into compliance by the end of the next term of enrollment.

If you are experiencing academic difficulties we strongly encourage you to seek tutoring assistance.  This service is offered free of charge through the Learning Center which is located on the first floor of the Lehman Memorial Library.  For an appointment please contact their office at (717) 477-1420. 

NOTE:  We recommend that a student contact the Financial Aid Office to determine the number of credits short for receiving aid.  Sometimes this can be a difficult calculation, so you should verify it with the Financial Aid Office by speaking with a Financial Aid Advisor.  Due to FERPA regulations, we cannot give this information to anyone but the student, so please do not have your parents or anyone else call on your behalf. 

You may view more information about FERPA from the U.S. Department of Education. Also note that our Authorization to Release Information Form used by the Financial Aid Office does not authorize us to release this information to a parent or any other individual.

GRADUATE STUDENTS: Standards of Academic Progress (SAP) Requirements

Full-time students must:

  • Complete 18 new credits per year.
  • Maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA.

Part-time students must:

  • Meet identical minimum GPA requirements.
  • Half-Time (6 – 8 credits) must pass 12 new credits per year.
  • Less than Half-Time (5 credits or less) must complete all credits attempted.

Maximum Time Limit:

Students must complete their degree requirements within 150% of the published length of their academic program. 

  • All attempted hours are counted, including transfer hours, whether or not financial aid was received. 

Annual Review and Notification, Regaining Eligibility and the Appeal Process:

  • Annual Review and Notification, Regaining Eligibility for Financial Aid and the Appeal Process is the same for graduate students as for undergraduates.  Please see information above.


All Students

Special Grades: 

  • I (Incomplete):  'I' grades do not count as earned credits or influence the grade point average in the semester in which the course work has been taken.  However, an incomplete grade will count toward total attempted credits.  Once the 'I' grade has been resolved and a passing grade has been earned, the credits and the grade will then be counted toward satisfying the minimum credit hours and the grade point average requirements. 
  • W (Withdrawal):   "W" grades do not count as earned credits or influence the grade point average.  However, these credits will count toward total attempted credits and may affect a student's eligibility for financial aid. 
  • P (Pass):  If a 'P' grade is earned, the credits will count toward satisfying the minimum earned credit hours but will not affect the student's grade point average.   

Repeated Courses:

The policy on repeated courses for purposes of being AWARDED aid has changed this year due to a change in federal regulations.

Courses for which a student has already received a passing grade ("D" or better) can only be repeated one additional time to be considered part of the student's enrollment for that particular semester.  If a student is enrolled in a semester and his schedule includes a course that was previously passed two times, that course will not be counted towards enrollment for financial aid purposes for that semester, and aid may be adjusted accordingly.

Example:  Student (a Physics major) takes Calculus I and earns a "D" grade.  Because Physics majors must pass Calculus I with a "C" or better, the student retakes the class and again earns a "D".  Student enrolls for 12 credits the following term, including taking Calculus I for a third time.  Under the new federal guidelines, the Financial Aid Office can only award aid based on 9 credits because the Calculus I class is being taken for a third time, with two previous passing grades for the class.

PHEAA State Grant Academic Progress for Undergraduate Students:  *Programs affected: PHEAA State Grant

In order for full-time students to make satisfactory academic progress for the PHEAA state grant program, the student must pass at least 24 new credits each year.  None of the credits counted can be from a course that the student is repeating if they previously passed it with a "D" or better grade. (If you are retaking a course which you failed previously, or received a "W" for withdrawing from the class, that can be counted as a "new" credit for PHEAA).

Examples:  Student registers for 12 credits in the Fall semester but only passes 9 credits.  Student then registers for and earns 15 credits during the Spring term.  The student is still maintaining academic progress (9 + 15 = 24).  Students can also use credits in the Summer to attain the credits needed for academic progress.  Example:  Student earns 9 credits in the Fall, 9 credits in the Spring and registers for and earns 6 credits in the Summer.

Part-time students should consult a financial aid representative for details on their progress requirements.

For PHEAA Grant purposes, repeated course can only be counted once in meeting the credit hours standard requirement.  

Students are only eligible to receive a PHEAA State Grant for a maximum of 8 full-time semesters.