Types of Aid:



The Federal School Code for Shippensburg University is 003326.

Students should complete an electronic Master Promissory Note (eMPN) in order to borrow a Federal Direct Loan or a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan at www.studentloans.gov.

Parents may complete an eMPN in order to borrow a Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan after April 1st at www.studentloans.gov.

Dates & Deadlines

Prospective and returning students should complete the FAFSA as soon as possible.

spacer image

Contact Us

Due to federal privacy laws, you must call (717) 477-1131 for individual student information.

General financial aid questions can be addressed by e-mail at finaid@ship.edu. Please provide the student's Shippensburg University ID (if applicable) in all e-mails. 

Fax: (717) 477-4028

spacer image

Related Links

Go to FAFSA 

Academic Calendar 

Semester Information 

How to Pay for College (college.gov) 

spacer image

Withdrawing from a Term

Federal regulations require that if a student withdraws from all classes, a Return to Title IV (R2T4) calculation must be performed to determine how much of the student’s aid must be returned to the government, and how much may be retained by the student and/or school for costs incurred up to the point of withdrawal.

NOTE: Students who have been awarded federal aid, but withdraw before the first day of classes, will have 100% of any funds received returned to the federal government.

The R2T4 provisions specify how universities must determine the amount of Title IV program assistance a student can keep if she or he withdraws from school. The Title IV programs that are covered by this law are:

  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
  • Federal Direct Subsidized Loan
  • Federal Perkins Loan
  • Federal PLUS Loan
  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal SEOG
  • Federal Teach Grant
  • Federal Iraq Afghanistan Service Grant

If a R2T4 calculation is done, aid is returned to the government in that order.

When a student withdraws during the semester, the amount of Title IV program assistance that the student has earned up to that point is determined by a specific formula. The amount of federal assistance that the student earned is determined on a pro rata basis. For example, if the student completed 30% of the semester, the student earned 30% of the assistance she or he was originally scheduled to receive. Once the student has completed more than 60% of the semester, the student has earned all the assistance (100%) that she or he was scheduled to receive for that term, and no aid has to be returned to the government.

The R2T4 policies govern only the amount of Federal Aid that must be returned in the case of a withdrawal. The amount of your actual charges (tuition, fees, etc.) is governed by separate rules. More information on what you will be charged in case of a withdrawal from all classes can be found on the Student Accounts web page at: www.ship.edu/Student_Accounts/Refund_Schedule/.

PA State Grants and Withdrawing from a Term

If received, the Pennsylvania State Grant award (PHEAA) will be adjusted based on Shippensburg University's policy of refund/reduction in tuition charges for a full University withdrawal or leave of absence for the term. For example, if you are withdrawing during the third week of the term at a 40% tuition charge you will only be eligible to keep 40% of your PA State Grant award for the term; if your State Grant award was $1,780 for the term you will only be eligible to keep $712 (1780 x .4) toward your charges for the term. The balance of your award for the term will be credited back to the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA).

Students should be aware that withdrawing from all courses during a term could have an effect on their Satisfactory Academic Progress. Students should also be made aware that a return of funds to the federal government might create a balance due on their student account. Students should check with the Student Accounts Office once their R2T4 has been processed and aid has been adjusted. Students considering withdrawing from all their classes may want to make an appointment with a Financial Aid Counselor to discuss their situation prior to their withdrawal.