Graduate Commencement – Friday, May 8, 2015
Please let us know your plans for the evening of Commencement by completing the RSVP form on the Graduate Dean’s webpage at: www.ship.edu/graduate/commencement by Friday, April 24. You will be asked to provide the following information:
Name of graduate: ______________________________________________________
____ I will attend the Graduate Commencement Ceremony and Reception.
____ I will attend the Graduate Commencement Ceremony only.
____ I will not be attending.
Number of guests attending the reception: ____
Even if you indicated your plans on the graduation application, it is very important to pre-register using the RSVP form on the Graduate Dean's web page so that we reserve your seat. The processional order for graduates will be set soon after April 24.
Caps, gowns, and hoods are available at the University Store in the Ceddia Union Building, 717-477-1600. On May 8, the University Store will be open until 6:00 p.m.; from 6:00 to 7:00, a University Store representative will be on hand in the Ship Rec Center to assist students with last-minute needs.
For those of you who are unfamiliar with campus, we recommend that you not rely on a GPS device to help in navigating the campus streets and instead review and print a copy of the campus map before you begin traveling to Graduate Commencement. Due to on-campus construction and the renaming of campus streets, some GPS devices might not provide reliable information. Campus maps are located at: http://www.ship.edu/visit/campus_maps/ The Graduate Commencement Ceremony will be held in the Luhrs Performing Arts Center, which is identified as Building #48 and is located on Lancaster Drive. For those of you who use Google maps, the Luhrs Performing Arts Center is identified as a Point of Interest. Also, the following--which identifies the LPAC front door--could be used: http://goo.gl/maps/4Lrk8
The university will have additional security procedures in place during the Graduate Commencement Ceremony. These changes will enhance our existing procedures and may include random examinations of items such as backpacks and purses. Everyone attending the ceremony should be aware of this as they enter the Luhrs Performing Arts Center, ShipRec, and Ceddia Union Building.
- Parking will be available in the lot beside LPAC and in front of Ship Rec.
- Graduates may arrive as early as 5:45 p.m. but not later than 6:30. Those who arrive after 6:50 p.m. may not be able to participate in the processional. Graduates are asked to check-in at the Registration Table at ShipRec to claim their processional cards. (ShipRec is at the end of the parking lot that is to the right of the LPAC.)
- We encourage graduates to lock all personal belongings in their cars or give items to guests for safekeeping. A limited number of small lockers will be available at ShipRec; a quarter is needed to secure the locker. The quarter is returned when the locker is no longer needed. The doors at ShipRec will be locked 30 minutes after the conclusion of the ceremony. Any unclaimed items will be taken to Lost & Found at the University Police Office.
- Graduates will be processing from ShipRec to LPAC. Everyone is strongly encouraged to wear appropriate shoes with this in mind.
- Guests are asked to enter LPAC’s front doors (directly beneath the large glass windows). A coat check room will be available in LPAC’s first-level lobby area.
- Guest tickets are not needed.
- Guests will be admitted to the Luhrs Center as early as 5:45 p.m. Because we are expecting a large crowd, we ask that guests use all available seats. Please make sure all of your guests are in their seats by 6:45. At that time, the theater doors will be closed and the hallways in the Luhrs Center will be used by faculty and graduates to prepare for the processional. Any guests not seated by 6:45 will be asked to wait until 7:15 to find seating.
- Professional photographers will be taking pictures at ShipRec during the processional line-up for any grad who wants them. In addition, they will be taking pictures at the LPAC during the ceremony. Guests may take pictures during the ceremony.
- We encourage families to make alternate babysitting arrangements for young children.
- LIVE coverage of the ceremony will be available on the Comcast Community Access Channel 21 and Campus Cable Channel 82. The ceremonies will be available on the web: http://www.ship.edu/graduation/ Some users might be instructed to install Microsoft Silverlight to view the stream at http://www.silverlight.net/getting-started Click on the Get Started tab to select PC or MAC.
- Television Broadcast and Broadband Video Stream will begin at 6:50 p.m.
- The ceremony will be archived and available at: http://www.ship.edu/graduation/
- A Commencement Program will be given to each graduate. We will also distribute programs to guests as they enter the auditorium. While we can’t promise a copy for each person, we’ll be happy to provide each family with a program.
- Graduates will be seated in the center section of the auditorium according to their programs of study. Marshals will guide graduates from their seats to the stage and to the podium at the appropriate time.
- Each graduate is to hand his/her processional card to the Reader, who will read each graduate’s name and degree. The graduate will proceed to the hooding platform, hand the hood to the Hooding Assistant, and face the audience while the faculty member places the hood over the graduate’s shoulders. After being hooded, each graduate will receive a diploma cover from the Graduate Dean and shake hands with President Harpster. The graduate will be directed back to his/her seat.
- After the closing remarks, the faculty will process out of the theater. The marshals will prompt graduates to follow the faculty. Guests may then exit the theater and meet their graduates in the MPR Room in the Ceddia Union Building.
- All in attendance are welcome to attend the reception immediately following in the MPR room in Ceddia Union Building.