Head Start Early Learning Outcomes Framework
The Head Start Early Learning Outcomes Framework (HSELOF) provides Head Start with a guide for planning and implementing a comprehensive, yet focused, learning program.
Guiding Principles for School Readiness
- Each child is unique and can succeed.
- Learning occurs within the context of relationships.
- Families are children’s first and most important caregivers, teachers, and advocates.
- Children learn best when they are emotionally and physically safe and secure.
- Areas of development are integrated, and children learn many concepts and skills at the same time.
- Teaching must be intentional and focused on how children learn and grow.
- Every child has diverse strengths rooted in their family’s culture, background, language, and beliefs.
The Framework is organized as follows:
- Approaches to Learning
- Social & Emotional Development
- Language & Literacy
- Language & Communication
- Mathematics Development
- Scientific Reasoning
- Perceptual, Motor, and Physical Development
For more information please visit http://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/hslc/hs/sr/approach/elof/i-elof.html.