Quizzes: Creating a Random Section
Inserting a random section into a quiz ensures that each user will receive a unique set of questions. The random section pulls from a designated pool of questions stored in the Question Library. It is important to note that you must import questions that have already been created elsewhere into a random section; you cannot create questions within the random section, nor can you move questions into this section. For more information on the Question Library refer to The Question Library: An Overview.
After selecting the questions from the library, you can specify how many questions from the random question pool each user should see. The random section will then randomly select this number of questions for each user that takes the quiz. This feature guarantees that each user will receive a unique quiz with different questions.
Instructors must create a quiz before adding a random set of questions. Since random sections can only contain questions from the question library, it is important that instructors create questions in the Question Library before you create a quiz. You can then import the questions into the random section folder. There are no limits to the number or type of questions in a random quiz.
After creating the questions in the Question Library or importing into the Question Library using Respondus:
- Go to the Course Home Page navigation bar and click on the QUIZZES link. The Manage Quizzes pane appears.
- From the list of quizzes, click the name of the quiz that will contain the new random section.
- Select the Layout/Questions tab.
- Click ADD/EDIT QUESTIONS.
- From the Create New pull-down menu, select "Random Section."
- Click the GO button. The New Random Section pane appears.
- In the "Section Name" text box, type a name for the section of random questions.
- In the Display Options section, select the desired options.
- Click the SAVE button.
- In the quiz sections pane, click the new random section.
- Click the IMPORT button. The Import Into [Quiz Name] pane appears.
- From the "Source Section" pull-down menu, select the part of the Question Library that contains the desired questions. The screen refreshes showing the questions in that section.
- In the Source Collection section, select the questions that will go in the random section. To select all questions in the section, select the section name.
A question is selected if a checkmark appears before it.
- Click the SAVE button. The section pane appears with the imported questions displayed.
- In the "Select" text box, type the number of questions to randomize.
- In the "worth" text box, type the number points each question is worth.
- Click the SAVE button.
- Click "Back to Quiz Layout/Questions" to go back.