What's New in D2L v10
The PASSHE system is moving from D2L v9.4.1 to v10 on December 15, 2012. The D2L system will be unavailable from 12:01am, December 15 until 12noon, December 15. The basic functionality of D2L will remain the same and they have added timesaving features such as
- the minibar, which streamlines navigation and allows instructors, through the Course Selector dropdown menu, to easily move from one course to another without visiting the My Home page,
- the Save Draft feature which allows faculty to save feedback as a draft in the Dropbox for later release to all students, and
- the streamlined navigation dropdown boxes in the Content area which allows faculty to easily add materials.
Changes in D2L v10
- New Graphics/Updated Environment: D2L has an updated look. Buttons, icons, and links are located in one central place within the platform.
Content Area Example
- New Minibar: A minibar consolidates navigation making it easier to navigate.
- Course Selector: A dropdown menu that will allow you to access all your courses without returning to the "My Home" page. Organize your courses in the dropdown menu by Course Name, by Last Accessed. You can even pin courses to the top of the dropdown list for easy access.
Minibar with Course Selector
New / Updated Features
- Content Area Controls Streamlined: Dropdown menus allow easy access to features that traditionally took two or more clicks to use.
- Post before Reading Discussions: The "Must Post First" feature allows instructors to require students to post to a discussion topic before they are able to read their classmates' posts.
- Alert Icons:These icons notify users when there are new messages or News items, when a deadline is approaching or when a discussion to which they have subscribed is added to.
- Dropbox feedback as a draft: In our current version, feedback is immediately released to students once an instructor saves it. In v10, faculty can now save Dropbox feedback to students in draft status then release feedback to the entire class at one time.
- Tighter Integration with Turnitin: Grades entered in Grademark will automatically be moved to the D2L Grades area. The ability to schedule a specific time to release Grademark Feedback has been added along with an automatic grammar checker. When transferring Turnitin-enabled Dropboxes to a new course or section, Turnitin is automatically enabled.
- Audio Recording Upgraded: The limit for Audio recordings has increased from one minute to six minutes (News, Discussions, Dropbox and submission feedback).
- Grades Icons: Instructors will be able to access an associated quiz or Dropbox from the Grades area for each student.
- More Notifications for Students: Students can now receive notifications on approaching quiz end dates and grades as they are released and updated.