Working with News
The News tool allows faculty members to communicate updates, changes and new information to students quickly and efficiently. The News Tool is located in the middle of the Course Home page. News item dates can be specified allowing instructors to make them available at appropriate times within the course.
This tutorial covers the following topics:
Creating News Items
From the My Home page in the click on the appropriate course link .
- In the News widget click on the ADD NEWS ITEM button.
The New Item page appears.
- Type the posting title in the HEADLINE field.
- Type the body text for the post in the CONTENT box. Use the Basic and Advanced tabs to format text.
- To set a start or end date for the News item:
- In the Availability section from the Start Date pull-down lists indicate the desired start date or choose a date by clicking on the SELECT DATE icon. From the at pull-down lists select the desired time of day.
- Select Remove News Item based on End Date or choose a date by clicking on the SELECT DATE icon. From the at pull-down lists select the desired time of day.
- To add an attachment:
- Click on the ADD A FILE button. The Submit a File dialog box appears.
- Click on the BROWSE button. The Choose file dialog box appears.
- Select the file you wish to attach and click on the OPEN button. The file appears in the first text box.
- To add another attachment, click ADD
- To remove an attachment next to the desired file click REMOVE
- When finished, click on the UPLOAD button.
- To post the News item, click on the SAVE button or the SAVE AND NEW button if you want to add another announcment.
Reorder News Items
By default all News items are displayed with new items presented first. However, you can specify how many News items to display at any given time or based on age when News items should no longer display.
- From the My Home page click the course in which you would like to modify a News item. The Course Home page appears.
- From the Course Home page in the News widget click on the REORDER NEWS ITEMS button. The Re-Order pane appears.
- In the Sort Order column use the pull-down list to select the order in which you want the News items diplayed.
- Click on the SAVE button.
Modifying News Items
Once posted News items can be modified.
- From the My Home page click on the course link in which you would like to modify a News item. The Course Home page appears.
- In the News widget for the item you want to modify click on the EDIT button. The Edit Item page appears.
- Make the desired changes.
- Click on the SAVE button.
Deleting News Items
To remove a News item follow these instructions:
- From the My Home page click on the course in which you would like to delete a News item. The Course Home page appears.
- Click on the DELETE button. A confirmation dialog box appears.
- Click on the DELETE button. The News item is deleted.