Importing and Exporting Grades
Instructors can import grades by adding a list of students and grades from outside the online course, as well as export online course grades to a text editor such as Word or Excel. Desire2Learn's import/export feature uses a comma separated value (CSV) file format. With Excel or a similar program, instructors can easily open, work with, or create CSV files.
About Importing Grades
Imported grades can be any items that the instructor has been tracking outside of Desire2Learn (e.g., attendance or extra credit).
Before importing grades, the grade items must be added to the Desire2Learn grade book. For more information refer to Working with the Grades Tool.
Desire2Learn's import/export feature uses a comma separated value (CSV) file format. Getting the file in the correct format is critical for a successful grade import. Since grade items must be added to the Desire2Learn grade book prior to importing grades, it is best to export the gradebook after creating the grade items. This way, the column headings for each grade item will be accurate.
The column headings in the CSV file consist of the name of the grade item and the grade type. In the example shown here, "Assignment 1" is the name of the grade item and "Points Grade" is the grade type. Both pieces of information must be part of the column heading.
Importing Grades (Backing Up Your Grade Book)
IDDS recommends that you back up your grade book every time you update it.
- On the Course Home page red navigation bar, click the GRADES link. The User List pane appears.
- Click the IMPORT GRADES button . The Import Grades pane appears.
- In the Import File text box type the location of the CSV file.
OR to select the file:
- The "Choose file" dialog box appears.
- Find and select the desired file .
- Click OPEN.
- After entering the information in the correct places, click the NEXT button. The grades are imported to the User List.
Exporting grades to a Desire2Learn course produces a comma separated values file (.csv), with the students' information separated by commas. This file can then opened with Excel and saved as an Excel file (.xlsx).
NOTE: To maintain an up-to-date backup, export a Grades List several times during the semester as well as at the end of the semester
- On the Course Home Page navigation bar, click the GRADES link. The User List screen appears.
- Click the EXPORT GRADES button.The Export Grades pane appears.
- In the Export Options section, select the desired options.
- In the "Choose Grades to Export," sections, select the appropriate grade items.
- Click EXPORT TO CSV. The "Export Grades" dialog box appears.
- Click the grade link. The "File Download" dialog box appears.
- Click the SAVE button. The "Save As.." dialog box appears.
- Find and select the desired save location.
- Click the SAVE button. The "Download complete" dialog box appears.
- Click CLOSE. The grades are exported.