Desire2Learn (D2L) Student Orientation - Tutorial Overview
What is Desire2Learn?
The D2L system allows for greater access to course materials and provides the opportunity for communication outside the classroom in a virtual online environment.The document below provides an overall orientation to Desire2Learn.
Getting Started with D2L
Click here to Learn how to begin using D2L.
This tutorial is designed to provide you with an overview on how to use Shippensburg University's D2L Course Management System and will take you through the process of initially acquiring your email username and through using the basic features in the D2L Course Management System.
Please note that your professor has complete control over the content placed in your D2L class site. Your professor will indicate how often you should check D2L and what content will be made available in D2L. Some information that you might find in the D2L course site may include:
- Discussion Questions
- Quizes or Exams
- Instructor Information such as office hours and her/his phone number
- Course Content: PowerPoint files, class notes, short videos and/or external links
Using this Tutorial
We suggest completing each section of the tutorial as follows:
- Read each section,
- View the video if available.
- Perform the action in your own browser window (if applicable).
You should have the following basic skills before using D2L:
- Download/Upload files from the Internet using a web browser and save them to your hard or thumb (flash) drive.
- Use/Complete an online form.
System Requirements and Recommendations
Click Here to View the Technology Requirements Page
- Go to
http://d2l.ship.edu to access the D2L homepage.
- Enter your SU username and password. If you forget your password, click on the Forgot your password? link and follow the steps to reset your password. To change your password, go to Account Settings under the personal menu and click Change password. (Remember, changing your password changes the password for accessing
all Ship resources.)
- It is recommended that you run a system check to make sure that your computer meets the minimum standard requirements, located near the bottom of the D2L homepage, before you log in for the first time.
The logout option is in the personal menu on the minibar. Selecting the dropdown menu and clicking Log Out will take you back to the Shippensburg University Portal page.
The system may time-out if you remain inactive for an extended period of time and you may be logged out of D2L. It is important that you save anything that you are working on to avoid