Study Abroad Travel Checklist
When preparing to study abroad, regardless of where you choose to study, there are many steps to consider as you plan for your trip. After you choose your destination and submit all of the required paperwork, this travel checklist can give you some of the basics on what to do before you go and what to bring on your journey.
- Meet with your academic advisor to discuss your current GPA, and make plans for the semester you return to Shippensburg
- Apply for your passport and visa(s)
- Apply for an International Student Identity Card
- Apply for a credit card that can be used around the world
- Get a physical, vaccinations and immunizations as needed
- Book your flight(s)
- Stock up on any prescription drugs, OTC medications (make sure they are legal in your host country), or contact lens supplies
- Check to make sure that all of your financial aid documents are up to date, know your disbursement dates and amounts
- Make sure you have everyone's phone numbers, e-mail, and addresses so you can keep in touch with friends and family
- Get an international cell phone or international phone card
- Confirm your flight(s) and figure out how you will travel from the airport to your final destination
- Pack only the essentials, and make sure you can carry the bag on your own
- Make sure to research your study abroad destination on the Centers for Disease Control website: http://www.cdc.gov
- All Ship students are encouraged to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP): www.travel.state.gov/step
These are just some of the basic things you'll need to do when planning your trip. There are lots of other steps to consider as you prepare to study abroad.
According to the U.S. State Department’s website, passport processing times may exceed 10 weeks. Therefore, we recommend that you apply for your passport at least 3 months in advance of your trip. The State Department’s website has information about traveling outside the US and how to apply for your passport. If you have questions about how to obtain a passport or visa(s), contact the International Programs Office.