Submission Instructions and Review Process
Stage One: On-Campus Review
1) Request Submission and Approval Forms from Shippensburg Campus Editor, Cynthia Botteron.
2) Submit the completed and correctly formatted manuscript along with the completed Submission and Approval forms through e-mail to KJUR.
3) Send a signed hard copy of the Submission and Approval Forms also to the Shippensburg Campus Editor.
4) The Campus Editor will log in the submission and send it to the appropriate Shippensburg Campus Division Editor.
The purpose of the on-campus review is to act as an objective pair of eyes, focusing on grammar, writing style, and as a check to ensure guidelines have been met. If the paper is not well written, despite it having suitable and meaningful content, it will be returned to the author without further review. If the manuscript does not follow the guidelines set forth in the Instructions for Authors, it will be returned to the authors without further review.
The review process will also evaluate content. Each Division Editor has discretion as to whom to send the manuscript to on campus. The Division Editor can send it to a Department Co-Editor or retain the manuscript and review it him or herself.
The Shippensburg Editorial Team does NOT retain the right of refusal of a manuscript based on subject, content, or conclusions so long as the submission guidelines, writing style, grammar, and logical progression of the manuscript meets professional standards.
The aim of the on-campus review process is to ensure that our student and faculty-mentored projects receive the most positive outcome in the Off-Campus Review process.
4) Division Editor's comments and suggestions are sent to the Faculty Mentor and a copy is sent to the Campus Editor.
5) The Faculty Mentor and Student Author(s) review comments, make corrections, additions and re-submit the manuscript to the Campus Editor.
Stage Two: Off-Campus Review
1) The Campus Editor then logs in the reviewed manuscript and sends it with the signed Approval Form to the KJUR Editor-in-Chief when satisfied that the on-campus review process has been sufficient and the manuscript meets basic quality and format expectations.
2) The Editor-in-Chief will forward the manuscript to the appropriate PASSHE Division Editor for review and editorial comments.
3) The PASSHE Division Editor will send it out for review to at least two faculty scholars in the field. The reviewers will use a rubric to evaluate the submission, and when completed, send the evaluation, with comments and suggestions, back to the PASSHE Division Editor. Based on the reviews, the editor will determine the suitability of the paper for publishing in the Journal and communicate this decision to the student author, Faculty Mentor, and Campus Editor.
4) The student author, in consultation with their Faculty Mentor, will address the comments of the reviewers and resubmit the article to the PASSHE Division Editor. The Division Editor may seek input from the reviewers before making their final decision.
6. When the Division Editor is satisfied with the resubmission, they will forward the Manuscript to the Issue Editor. The issue editors make any final markup on the manuscript. The Issue Editor, in consultation with the Editor-in-Chief, determines which articles will be published in a particular issue.
7. The manuscript is forwarded to Editor-in-Chief. The Editor-in-Chief prepares the manuscript for publication.
8. Prior to publication, galley proofs are sent to the Faculty Mentor for approval.
9. Once approved, and the copy write agreement is received, the manuscript will be placed in a queue for publication.