Master of Public Administration
The MPA program at Shippensburg University is designed to prepare students in general public management theory, techniques, and skills. The curriculum emphasizes broad-based analytical and managerial courses. Graduates of the program will be capable of assuming a broad range of positions in public service.
NASPAA Core Competencies
- To lead and manage in public governance
- To participate in and contribute to the policy process
- To analyze, synthesize, think critically, solve problems, and make decisions
- To articulate and apply a public service perspective
- To communicate and interact productively with a diverse and changing workforce and citizenry
The MPA program offers courses at two convenient locations, our main campus in Shippensburg and at
Dixon University Center on Front Street in Harrisburg.
The program has 36 credits or 12
courses – students are required to take ten 3-credit courses and complete a six credit-hour
internship. Professionals with over five years of public administration or related experience may have part or all of their internship requirement waived.
Program courses are offered in 8-week sessions. This format allows you to complete the program in as little as 18 months.
MPA courses are taught by
full-time faculty who hold PhD degrees. Occasionally, we invite practitioners to teach elective courses and share their valuable professional experiences.
Program Admission Process
To apply to the MPA program you should follow the step-by-step directions below. For a detailed explanation of the requirements please consult the
Graduate Admissions Requirements page.
- Complete your Graduate School Application.
APPLY NOW! Send us your documents later.
- Send the Office of Graduate Admissions transcripts from each and every institution that has awarded you college credit.
- Have taken at least six (6) semester credits in political science or public administration at the undergraduate level; applicants who have not completed the required course work may be admitted on a conditional basis.
- Provide a current resume.