Ship Password Policy
Strong passwords and periodic password changes are required in order to protect information stored on campus systems.
Password minimum requirements:
- At least 8 characters in length
- May not contain significant portions of your account name, first name, or last name
- Changed only once within 24 hours
- Changed at least once every 90 days
- Contain characters from three of the following four categories:
- English uppercase characters (A through Z)
- English lowercase characters (a through z)
- Numerics (0 through 9)
- Special/non-alphabetic/non-numeric characters (!, #, %, space character, etc)
- Not equal to any of your previous 3 passwords
A suggestion for easily creating a strong password is to think in terms of a passphrase or short sentence using punctuation. The examples below are easy to remember – but strong as well. Obviously, you shouldn't use any of the passwords. Treat these examples as guidelines only!
- Forget 7-layer cake!
- I heart my pet
- Not having cake. #sadness