Jump to Footer
Modern Language Requirements
- Students enrolling in BA degree programs at Shippensburg University must meet the modern language requirement for graduation.
- Students who have successfully completed three years or more of any one foreign language in high school have met the language requirement. The requirement can also be met through AP testing, CLEP or the university placement test combined with the department oral test.
- Students with no previous knowledge of a foreign language must begin with the introductory level and complete three courses in that language. All others will take the university placement test.
- French, German and Spanish 101/102/103 will complete the requirement sequence based on placement.
- Students with three or more years of a language, who want to take the same language as a General Education Category B course or as a free elective, will be placed at the 103 or 200 level, according to their number of high school years in one language and their