The Minor in Theatre is an 18 credit minor. Students proceed through the 12 required and 6 elective credits to complete the minor. Students interested in theatre education at Shippensburg University will find a Theatre Minor Curriculum that can be tailored according to their particular interests. The Minor consists of 12 credit hours in the core curriculum. The emphasis here is on Performance and Theatre History. The remaining 6 credit hours encourage a student to select from a wide range of interdisciplinary interests. Additional theatre and music classes in Directing, Voice or Technical Production may be selected. Classes within the Departments of Art, Communications, English and Management have been selected to encourage those students interested in Design, Criticism or Arts Management. As an area of study linked to Shippensburg University’s Interdisciplinary Arts Degree, theatre students also have the opportunity for Dance Education through an articulation agreement with Wilson College.
Theatre production on campus is entirely funded and directed by student clubs. For more information on these extra-curricular clubs, contact the Shippensburg University Student Association.
Required Courses (12 crs.)
- THE121 Introduction to Theatre – 3 crs.
- THE123 Acting I: Fundamentals of Acting – 3 crs.
- THE222 Acting II: Scene Study - 3 crs. (Acting I is a pre-requisite)
- THE329 Theatre History – 3 crs.
Elective Courses (9 crs.)
chosen in your area of interest in consultation with the Department Chair:
- ART110 Basic Drawing
- ART215 Color & 2D Design
- ART231 Art History I
- ART232 Art History II
- ENG323 Reviewing the Arts
- ENG330 Shakespeare
- ENG467 Seminar in Drama
- MGT325 Advertising & Promotional Strategy
- MGT340 Human Resource Administration
- MGT342 Managing Organizational Relations
- MGT370 Services Management
- MGT433 Small Business Management
- MUS227 Opera & Musical Theatre
- MUS260 Voice I
- MUS360 Voice II
- THE229 Technical Production
- THE320 Directing
- THE324 Theatre Practicum
- THE327 Costumes & Make-up
- THE395/396 Theatre Internship
- THE490 Selected Topics in Theatre Arts