University events set to honor veterans
A series of events is planned through Nov. 14 as part of the university’s salute to veterans sponsored by ROTC, the university’s Office of Veteran Services and the university's Student Veterans of America chapter. The events are:
- Nov. 5 to 9: Care packages and holiday card collection, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., outside Lehman Library.
- Nov. 8: ROTC Veterans Day and Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, 2 p.m., Memorial Auditorium.
- Nov. 11: Shippensburg Veterans Day Parade on King Street, 2 p.m.
- Nov. 12: Veterans appreciation pizza and lasagna luncheon for veterans and supporting family and friends, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Nov. 13: Veterans Day program at Grace B. Luhrs University Elementary School for veterans and ROTC members only, 1 to 2:30 p.m.
- Nov. 14: Showing of the documentary Where Soldiers Come From, 6:30 p.m., Grove Hall Forum. The documentary follows a group of friends from the impoverished Upper Peninsula of Michigan over the course of four years when they decide to join the National Guard and then through basic training, deployment to an explosives unit, and their attempts to assimilate back into their hometown while coping with traumatic brain injuries and symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder.