University events set to honor
A series of events is planned through Nov. 14 as part of the
university’s salute to veterans sponsored by ROTC, the university’s Office of
Veteran Services and the university's Student Veterans of America chapter. The events are:
- Nov. 5 to 9: Care packages and holiday card collection, 8
a.m. to 5 p.m., outside Lehman Library.
- Nov. 8: ROTC Veterans Day and Hall of Fame Induction
Ceremony, 2 p.m., Memorial Auditorium.
- Nov. 11: Shippensburg
Veterans Day Parade on King Street, 2 p.m.
- Nov. 12: Veterans appreciation pizza and lasagna luncheon
for veterans and supporting family and friends, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Nov. 13: Veterans Day program at Grace B. Luhrs
University Elementary School for veterans and ROTC members only, 1 to 2:30 p.m.
- Nov. 14: Showing of the documentary Where Soldiers Come From, 6:30 p.m., Grove Hall Forum. The
documentary follows a group of friends from the impoverished Upper Peninsula of
Michigan over the course of four years when they decide to join the National
Guard and then through basic training, deployment to an explosives unit,
and their attempts to assimilate back into their hometown while coping with
traumatic brain injuries and symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder.