B. Michael Schaul, Council of Trustees chair, left, and Interim President Jody Harpster,
right, present the citation to Head Coach Bertie Landes.
Trustees honor national
champion field hockey team
Shippensburg University’s Council of Trustees today honored the field hockey team that won the 2013 national championship. Trustees approved a citation at their regular meeting and presented the citation to the team at a lunch in its honor.
The team won the 2013 NCAA Division II National Championship with a 2-1 overtime win over LIU Post last November. The team also had a perfect 17-0 regular season record and was led by three All-Americans and eight all-Conference players.
Following is the citation signed by B. Michael Schaul, chair of the Council of Trustees, and Interim President Jody Harpster:
- WHEREAS, Shippensburg University has a long and proud tradition of providing student-athletes with opportunities to participate in an environment that encourages the achievement of athletic excellence and the ideals of sportsmanship; and
- WHEREAS, that competition helps prepare the student-athlete for life-long accomplishment in an environment conducive to academic and athletic success; and
- WHEREAS, the 2013 Shippensburg University Field Hockey team epitomized the ideals of success both on and off the playing field; and
- WHEREAS, the team posted a perfect regular-season 17-0 record and earned its 10th berth in the National Collegiate Athletic Association Division II national championship; and
- WHEREAS, in the title game, senior Bre White converted a penalty stroke five minutes into overtime that resulted in a 2-1 victory over LIU Post; and
- WHEREAS, the victory became the first NCAA championship in Shippensburg University history; and
- WHEREAS, the success by the team garnered national attention for Shippensburg University campus and the SHIP family; and
- WHEREAS, the team is a source of pride for all members of the campus community; and
- THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the Council of Trustees of Shippensburg University hereby recognize with great appreciation the student-athletes, coaches, and all supporters of the 2013 Shippensburg University Field Hockey Team.
- WITNESS, our hands this 31st day of January, 2014.
S. Eugene Herritt, Council of Trustees secretary, left, reads the citation to team members. At right is B. Michael Schaul, Council of Trustees chair.