Bachelor's Degree in Social Work (BSW) in Harrisburg
Degree Completion Program at the Dixon University Center
Admissions and Application Information
- Students must have an associate degree or at least 48 transferable credits (60 credits preferred) with a minimum 2.40 GPA from all work previously completed at accredited institutions.
- Students must have completed the following courses (either at Shippensburg University or another accredited institution) prior to starting the cohort in Fall 2013 (HACC equivalents are in parentheses):
- SWK 102 Social Work in Social Welfare (HACC = HUMS 120)
- SWK 250 Assessing Individuals in the Social Environment (HACC = HUMS 206)
- SWK 265 Understanding Diversity for Social Work Practice (HACC = SOC 205)
- College level statistics course (HACC = MATH 202 or PSYC 241. However, if you take PSYC 241, it does not count towards completion of the math general education requirements.)
* We are offering an Applied Statistics Course for Social Work Students this summer from July 1-August 11. Registration for this course ends Friday, June 28, 2013. Seats are limited, so register today!
- PLS 100: US Government & Politics must be completed before Spring semester 2015. (HACC = GP 201 or GP 203)
- Early admissions deadline is November 1, 2012. Students will be notified if they are accepted by January 1, 2013. Regular admissions deadline is April 1, 2013. Students will be notified if they are accepted by May 1, 2013.
- Maximum capacity is 25 students. A minimum of 20 students will be required to begin this cohort in Harrisburg. Students will be notified after May 1, 2013 if minimum enrollment has been met.
- You must apply by using a paper application with the BSW/HBG code on it. Do not apply online! Application fee is $40.00.
- Social work courses in the BSW cohort will be held on Tuesday and Thursday evenings at the Dixon Center in Harrisburg. The full schedule of courses is available on the website.
- The BSW Cohort provides the social work courses required to complete a BSW degree. Students must take all other required credits, including general education courses and electives at the SU main campus or other accredited institutions, such as HACC, that offer courses equivalent to Shippensburg courses.
- Every BSW Cohort student must complete a 450 hour field education experience that will include interning in a social service agency for 22-24 hours per week from the end of July 2015 until beginning of December 2015.
- The BSW program at Shippensburg University is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
Click HERE for the BSW Admissions Application.