Master of Arts in Teaching in Science Education
MAT Admission Requirements
- Have earned a bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline from a regionally accredited institution.
- Have official undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) transcripts sent to Shippensburg University.
- Submit a completed application including a statement of intent summarizing their motivations and goals for entering the teaching profession.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Achieve passing scores on two teacher certification exams that are required by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: Pre-Service Academic Performance Assessment (PAPA) and Praxis II Subject Assessment. More information can be found at the Educational Testing Services website (www.ets.org). Applicants may be conditionally admitted if PRAXIS scores are pending.
The MAT is designed for students that already have content expertise in a scientific discipline that is consistent with one or more of the secondary (grades 7-12) licensure areas in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Earth and Space Science, Environmental Science, and General Science. Applicants may also pursue Middle Level (grades 4-8) certification. The MAT directors will review each applicant’s transcripts and Praxis examination scores as part of the admissions process. Applicants are encouraged to register for the Praxis examinations as soon as possible and to contact the MAT directors with any questions or concerns. Preparation materials are available on the ETS website and via the program directors. Passing scores on both exams are required for teacher certification.
How to Apply:
- Applicants should apply using the online application and pay the $45 nonrefundable application fee.
- Send official transcripts from each and every institution that has awarded you college credit. This allows us to have the most accurate view of your academic history. Transcripts may be sent electronically through Docufide or E-scripts, or through postal mail sent to: Shippensburg University, Office of Graduate Admissions, 1871 Old Main Drive, Shippensburg PA 17257.
- Supplemental documents (your goal statement and two letters of recommendation) can be sent as Word or PDF documents to GradAdmiss@ship.edu. If mailing electronically please be sure to include your full name and date of birth in the email. You may also have these documents sent to our office via postal mail at the address given above.
- Track your application status by using our online portal at www.ssb.ship.edu/admiss/. This will allow you to check your application and see which items are still outstanding.
Where does my file go once it is complete?
When all application requirements have been met the file will be sent to the academic department for initial review. Faculty members of the academic department will review your file and may contact you to schedule a formal interview time. Upon completion of the review process the Chair of the academic department will submit a recommendation to the Dean of Graduate Studies. Upon receipt of this recommendation a secondary review by the Office of Graduate Admissions will be completed and a decision will be rendered. Decisions will be sent to the applicant via postal mail.
If you have additional questions please don't hesitate to email us GradAdmiss@ship.edu or call 717-477-1213.