Shippensburg University Academic Master Plan
The division of Academic Affairs is engaged in the creation of an Academic Master Plan (AMP). This plan will impact the University's academic directions and provide a set of strategies for accomplishing the academic mission of Shippensburg University. These efforts will integrate with existing planning processes occurring at the program, departmental, college, and university level, as well as with the University's ongoing commitment to self-review and best practices outlined by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. Indeed, the development of Ship's first AMP represents a natural evolution and extension of the University's existing strategic planning and budget processes.
Academic planning has a major role in all other planning (facilities, technology, etc.) of the university. The focus of all universities and colleges is academic and the academic master plan focuses on academic issues as well as academic and administrative supports for the university. Academic planning is an activity based on the mission, vision, and values of the university and its overarching goals. It is the plan that informs all of the other university plans, e.g., departmental plans, college plans, facilities master plans, the strategic plan of the university, etc.
The AMP asks questions such as:
- What image does the institution wish to project?
- Who are the constituencies that we serve?
- What is the appropriate balance between teaching, scholarship, and service?
- What types of students and faculty does the university wish to attract?
- What are the programs, services, support, and facilities that will attract those students and faculty?
- What are the best ways to engage students, faculty, and administrators that the university wants to attract and retain?
- How is success measured?
- How does the university use information about the level of success?
The AMP will prioritize the goals of Academic Affairs for the next 5 years based on the mission/vision and goals of the university. AMP goals such as the development of new programs, enrollment initiatives, and academic and co-curricular activities for students will inform the University Strategic Plan as well as the plans in other divisions/units such as Student Affairs, Technology, and Facilities, to name a few. The end result of the AMP will be the strengthening of the university via new academic initiatives and programs as well as tailoring existing programs to fit with the mission and vision of the university.