THE ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
The Pennsylvania SBDCs' Environmental Management Assistance Program (EMAP) is a free and confidential statewide service. By contacting your local SBDC you can take advantage of this service. Environmental Specialists are located throughout Pennsylvania and will be able to assist you in the following areas:
- Confidential on-site environmental management, regulatory compliance, pollution prevention and energy efficiency opportunity assessments
- Confidential assistance for understanding environmental permit and compliance requirements
- Confidential assistance for incorporating environmental considerations within strategic business management and planning activities
- Environmental training seminars
- Liaison to regulatory enforcement agencies
- Links to additional sources of technical and financial assistance
Who Can Benefit
Businesses in any industry, including the manufacturing, retail and service sectors, can benefit from improved efficiency through strategic environmental management. Pollution prevention and energy efficiency approaches may vary by sector, but the opportunities always exist. So whether your business is still just an idea, or whether it is an existing operation, the Pennsylvania SBDCs can help.
The Bottom Line
Pollution is a drain to a firm's bottom line. Whether it's air emissions, solid or hazardous wastes, or wastewater discharges, pollution is a waste resulting from inefficiencies in a firm's operations. And what business is ever purposely wasteful? By preventing pollution before it is ever created in the first place, businesses can improve their efficiency and save money. Learn how to use pollution prevention to:
- Reduce raw material purchase costs
- Reduce compliance burdens and costs associated with environmental permits, record keeping and reporting requirements
- Reduce waste management, treatment and disposal costs
- Reduce long-term liabilities associated with hazardous waste management
The Pennsylvania Small Business Development Centers can help you learn how to manage your environmental compliance responsibilities in the most cost-effective way, with a focus on pollution prevention.
Material Trader - a free service designed to help businesses find markets for materials they have traditionally discarded
Manure Trader - a free resource intended to facilitate the beneficial use of excess manure.