Password Policy & Complexity Requirements
Shippensburg University requires all users to have a complex
password, and also requires that users change their password at least once
every 90 days. This is to ensure account
security of all employees and students.
Password minimum requirements:
- At least 8 characters in length
- May not contain significant portions of your account name, first name or last name
- Must be changed only once within the past 24 hours
- Must be changed at least once every 90 days
- Contain characters from three of the following four categories:
- English uppercase characters (A through Z)
- English lowercase characters (a through z)
- Numeric characters (0 through 9)
- Special/non-alphabetic, non-numeric characters (!, #, %, space character, etc.)
- Not equal to any of your previous three passwords
A suggestion for easily creating a strong password is to think in terms of a passphrase or short sentence using punctuation. The examples below are easy to remember, but are strong as well. Please do not use any of these password examples. Treat these examples as guidelines only.
Forget 7-layer cake!
I heart my pet
Not having cake. #sadness
Managing your password
You can change or reset your password by visiting https://password.ship.edu.