English (Writing) Placement Testing
About the English (Writing) Placement Test
- The English (Writing) Placement Test is required
for first-year students whose English SAT sub-score is ≤
25 (SAT taken AFTER March 2016
- The English (Writing) Placement Test is required for first-year students whose English SAT score was ≤445 (SAT taken PRIOR to March 2016).
- The English Placement Test involves writing a
general knowledge essay and assesses your ability to write.
- You do not need to make any special preparation
for this essay.
- You will have the opportunity to create
outlines, maps, or rough drafts.
- The test is untimed.
- Only your final copy will be evaluated.
- There are two courses you can be placed into,
both of which are counted as credits toward graduation: (1) Basic Writing (ENG 113) and (3) Writing Intensive First Year Seminar (ENG 114).
- Advanced writers may be invited to enroll in Advanced
Review for English (Writing) Placement Test
See the English department’s website for recommendations and a video (also displayed below) on
how to review for the English Placement Test.