Math Placement Testing at Shippensburg University
About the Math Placement Test:
ACT or SAT scores must be within 2 years from the time a student is accepted and confirmed to Shippensburg University to determine if placement testing is required.
ACT - Math Section
A Math Placement Test is required for first-year students whose ACT-M is ≤ 21
SAT-M (AFTER March 2016)
- A Math Placement Test is required for first-year students whose SAT-M is ≤ 550
- Students with Math SAT scores > 550 are not required to take the Math Placement Test; however, it may be beneficial depending on your intended major. See the Optional Testing page for more information.
ALL Math Placement Testers
- The test is computerized and is completed using ACCUPLACER, a program created by the College Board.
- No special computer skills are required to complete the test.
- The test consists of a variety of items including solving problems using algebra, geometry, and/or trigonometry.
- The majority of test items include content normally encountered by students in the typical high school college-preparatory mathematics curriculum.
- Calculators are NOT permitted during testing.
- Your test results will determine your eligibility to enroll in college-level math courses
Review for Math Placement Test
It is highly recommended that you spend time reviewing before taking the Math Placement Test—small amounts of studying can go a long way. If you don’t know where to start, go to the ACCUPLACER website and download their free, easy-to-use, and very helpful Website. We created a step-by-step TUTORIAL (shown below) that explains how to get started.
ALL STUDENTS should at least work through both the Elementary Algebra and Arithmetic practice options.
Practice for ACCUPLACER
2. Create an account
3. Select "Classic Practice Tests"
Using the Website
- Go to Once you have completed the steps above, you can access the App at the following link: https://accuplacerpractice.collegeboard.org/login.
- On the right-hand side, enter an Email Address and Password to use
(To use on a phone, you must have a IOS version 5.0 or later or Android 2.3 or later)
We highly recommend that any student who plans to be a Math, Science, Middle-level Education, or Businessmajor work up to the College-Level Math practice option as it will best prepare you for the questions you will need to answer correctly for optimal Math placement at Shippensburg University.
- Math Placement Test
- English Placement Test
- Reading Challenge Test
- Placement Testing Procedures
- Transfer Students
- Alternate Testing Sites
- Register for Placement Testing
- Options After Placement Testing
- Waiver Exam
- Optional Math Testing
- Placement Testing Forms
- Miller Analogies Test (MAT)
- Proctoring Services
- Additional Resources
- Campus Map