Internships with the Pennsylvania DEP and DCNR

Internships with the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection and the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources have proven to be valuable experiences for many of our undergraduate and graduate students. They offer a variety of internship experiences at locations across the state. Even for unpaid internship placements in these agencies, the experience is still worth your time. To be considered for an internship with one of these agencies, be sure to complete an on-line application form:

  • For internships with the Department of Environmental Protection:

  • For internships with the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources:
    • The DCNR is actively recruiting interns and externs (unpaid interns) for career paths in DCNR! An internship/externship now could potentially set you up for a career with this great state agency.
    • When completing the application form for DCNR, you will be asked to indicate where you would like to work. It is recommended that you indicate counties where you would like to be placed (i.e. if you are interested in a specific park in a specific county), but that you also include the county or counties where the regional office is located (click here for a map of the DCNR regions): Region 1 Cameron County, Region 2 Butler County, Region 3 Bedford County, Region 4 Bucks County, Region 5 Luzerne County, Region 6 Clarion County, DCNR Headquarters Dauphin County.

  • Both the DCNR and DEP require an academic verification as part of their application process. SU now has a "self-serv" feature so you can access all of these materials on-line through my.ship. After logging into the my.ship portal, select Student > My Academics > Student Resources > My Enrollment Verification. A current enrollment verification should suffice. You can print that and attached it to your application. For information about academic standing, you should print up a copy of your informal transcript.

  • DEP may also require a letter from the Geography-Earth Science Department to document that academic internships are required for your degree. Contact Dr. Pomeroy ( or Dr. Jantz ( for this letter.