K-12 Principal Certification - Post-Master’s
The K-12 Principal Certification Program
Students who have earned a M.Ed. in Educational Leadership and need only K-12 Principal Certification may apply to the Graduate School for the Post-master’s K-12 Principal Certification Program. For assistance in completing the application please contact the Office of Graduate Admissions.
Principal Certification Admission Requirements
- A copy of your teaching certificate and evidence of two years of successful teaching experience in elementary, middle, or secondary schools.
- If you did not complete the Masters of Education in Educational Leadership at Shippensburg University, you must also provide official transcripts from any institution that awarded your undergraduate or graduate credit.
- Two reference forms. One reference must be from a chief school officer (district superintendent or intermediate unit executive director) in the school where you are currently or most recently employed. The second reference must be either from a principal or immediate supervisor.
- A statement of purpose for seeking principal certification. This should be emailed as a PDF to GradAdmiss@ship.edu.
Policies for the Certification Program
- A minimum of five years of professional school experience is required for the Administrative I certificate.
- A “B” average must be maintained for the credits required for certification, with not more than one “C” grade included.
- Prescribed experiences for the certification program must be completed within a three-year period. These requirements will apply unless an extension is granted for extenuating circumstances.
- Individuals pursuing principal certification who have not gone through a candidacy review at Shippensburg University may be required to complete an oral review with Department faculty.
- Practicum experiences are individually prescribed programs based upon the competencies of the program and the experiences of the candidate.
Post-Master's Degree Certification Program for School Principals
Post-master's students must complete 15 credit hours at Shippensburg University in order to be recommended for certification as outlined below. A candidate who has completed a master’s degree other than the Master’s of Education in Educational Leadership at Shippensburg University will not be required to complete a second master’s degree, but may take additional courses identified as necessary to attain the required competencies.
- ELP514 Practicum I Leadership Field Experiences at the Building Level (PILs)
- ELP516 Curriculum Assessment and Instruction PK-12 for Diverse Student Populations (PILs)
- ELP518 The Role of Supervision in Promoting Student Achievement (PILs)
- ELP519 Advanced Leadership and the School Principal PK-12 (PILs)
- ELP520 School Finance and Student Learning (PILs)
- ELP521 Legal and Ethical Issues that Impact on Student Learning (PILs)
- ELP522 Practicum II Advanced Leadership Field Experiences at the Building Level (PILs)
Note: PILs: Pennsylvania Inspired Leadership Standards focused course.
School Leaders Licensure Assessment
A passing score on the SLLA test is required for principal and supervisory certification.
K-12 Principal Certification Faculty
Each member of the graduate faculty in the Department of Educational Leadership holds an earned doctorate and holds (or has held) an administrative position in education. The faculty is known not only for its high professional qualifications but for the excellence of its relationships with its students and school districts throughout the region.