I-20 Evaluation & Issuance
1. Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant F-1 Student Status)
International students planning to study at Shippensburg University are required to submit the appropriate documents in order to be issued a Form I-20. These documents include:
- An Admission Application for International Students and the non-refundable $45 Application Fee
- Transcripts from your previous academic institution(s)
- Note: Undergraduate and Graduate applicants must submit official copies of all academic records from the secondary (and post-secondary, if applicable) school. This is required if you are from a country where English is not the official language of instruction. official transcripts must be sent directly to an International Credential Evaluator for evaluation purposes. Shippensburg University accepts credentials that are evaluated by World Education Services (WES - www.wes.org), Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE - www.ece.org), or a NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluating Services) recognized evaluating entity.
- Documentation of financial support for one full academic year including:
- Shippensburg University Statement of Financial Support
- Bank statement from sponsor demonstrating available funds
- Verification of sponsor's income
- Once an applicant has been admitted they must then make a NON-REFUNDABLE I-20/Enrollment Confirmation Deposit of $100.00. This deposit will be used for your enrollment confirmation and for the processing and delivery of your I-20 form. The deposit is payable to "Shippensburg University" and will confirm the intention of the student to become a matriculated student. Once you have submitted your I-20/Enrollment Confirmation Deposit, your I-20 form will be created and mailed via United States Postal Service (USPS) Express International to you along with your visa instructions and acceptance packet. You will not be mailed an I-20 until you make your confirmation deposit.
Applying for an F-1 Student Visa in your Home Country
Now that you have been academically admitted and submitted your NON-REFUNDABLE I-20/Enrollment Confirmation Deposit, you should have received your Form I-20 from Shippensburg University. You must now use your Acceptance Letter and Form I-20 to apply for an F-1 Student Visa in your home country. You must travel to a United States Consulate or Embassy in order to do this. The following documents should be taken with you when you apply:
- A valid passport
- Form I-20 from Shippensburg University
- Financial documentation indicating your ability to support yourself while in the United States. Examples include a Statement of Financial Support from your sponsor, bank statement and/or letters indicating that you have been awarded a scholarship.
- Documentation demonstrating your intent to return to your home country once your degree is complete. Examples include family property ownership, bank accounts, a job offer upon completion of your degree, etc.
Additional documents could be required. Country-specific processing guidance can be accessed at http://www.usembassy.gov/ and you are encouraged to check this website for information relevant to your country of residence visa requirements.
***Students are also required to fill out the SEVIS Transfer Form (Graduate) and pay the SEVIS 901 fee which is $200. Additional information can be found at https://www.fmjfee.com. The fee must be paid prior to applying for the F-1 visa.***