Academic Advising Resources and Support
Here you will find a collection of information and resources to support both students and academic advisors as they build their advising partnership.
- For Students: Become familiar with the programs, policies, procedures and resources of the university so you can make appropriate decisions about your educational experiences.
- For Faculty: Provides faculty advisors resources needed to be effective advisors and information that supports their advising function.
Advising Mission Statement
Academic advising at Shippensburg University is a joint endeavor that complements the educational goals of the university by working with and empowering students to obtain appropriate academic information, to develop educational and career goals, to learn the skills needed for academic success, and to access the variety of resources and services available to them.
The advising mission statement emphasizes three essentials of quality advising:
- Advising is a partnership in which the student and the advisor have responsibilities.
- Advising is a process to assist students in the development of meaningful educational plans that are compatible with their life goals.
- Advising is at the heart of the teaching-learning interaction in which the primary goal is to empower the student to take responsibility for his or her decisions and actions.