The Department of Communication/Journalism Department at Shippensburg University is the only accredited journalism/mass communication program in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education. It is one of 113 programs accredited globally by the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (ACEJMC).
The department's primary mission is to prepare well-rounded graduates to be future professionals in the converging fields of mass media. Students enrolling in our accredited undergraduate program will:
- Receive a cost-effective Bachelor of Arts degree in Communication/Journalism
- Be able to join and work in diverse student-run media groups in online media, print media, electronic media and public relations with state-of-the-art technology
- Participate in two for-credit national/regional/local professional internships
- Be mentored and taught by faculty with professional media and public relations experience
- Enjoy small class sizes: 15-20 for all writing/skills courses; 30-35 for all discussion-based courses