Master of Science in Information Systems
Shippensburg University’s Master of Science in Information Systems program is a joint program between the Computer Science (CS) and Management Information Systems (MIS) departments that allows you to apply information systems and technology concepts to many business and technical situations.
IT leadership, Big Data analyst, information security analyst and similar occupations continue to grow. This program allows graduates to thrive in those careers by presenting project outcomes to a broader audience and understanding the implication of change for:
- Agile software development
- Project management
- Data and Database management
- Information and Computer Security
- Information systems
The 31-credit MSIS program consists of 10 courses that focus on:
- Business systems analysis and systems design
- Python Programming
- Database Management Systems
- Data Mining
- Project management
- Information systems management
Hands-on projects allow you to grow in the areas of operation and technical problem solving.
The program is ideal for both working professionals and those fresh off their undergraduate experience. It offers flexibility through course offerings on the campus of Shippensburg University and Dixon University Center in Harrisburg.
Upon completing our program, MSIS students will be able to:
- Apply information systems and technology concepts to a variety of business and technical situations
- Demonstrate knowledge(s) in agile software development, project management, data and database management, information and computer security, and information systems
- Demonstrate technical problem solving and operational proficiencies through hands-on projects
- Understand the implication of change for software development, project management situations, database management, security, and information systems
- Present project outcomes to a broader audience
- Understand and respect professional ethics
Applicants to the program must have a bachelor’s degree. Those whose overall quality point average is below 2.75 will be required to take the GMAT or GRE prior to admission. All international applicants who have not graduated from a four-year American university must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the IELTS.
A personal laptop is required for this program.
Management Information Systems Courses
- ISS 515 - Information Systems Project Management
- ISS 570 - Information Analysis
- ISS 550 - Database Design
- MBA 547 - Management Information Systems and Applications
- ISS 561 - Business Security
- MBA 548 - IT Management and Innovation (optional*)
Computer Science Courses
- CSC 559 - Agile Software Methods
- CSC 563 - Software Metrics and Process Management
- CSC 534 - Computer Security
- CSC 571 - Data Mining
- CSC 504 - Computer Programming for Information Systems
*This is a course for students who already have a verified programming background and will not be required to take CSC 504.