Guest Information for Spring Undergraduate Ceremony
May 11, 2019 at 11:00 a.m. in Seth Grove Stadium
Inclement Weather Notification
In case of inclement weather, information about commencement will be available on Hotline (717-477‑1200). The decision to move indoors will be made as soon as possible, even as early as Friday, May 10. Hotline will be updated as needed. Final information will be available by 7:00 a.m. on May 11. Hotline, the university’s website, and the university’s Facebook and Twitter accounts, are the official sources of information about commencement.
In the event of inclement weather, commencement will be held in Heiges Field House in two separate ceremonies based on colleges. Graduates of the John L. Grove College of Business and the College of Education & Human Services will participate at 11:00 a.m. Graduates of the College of Arts & Sciences will participate at 3:00 p.m. Tickets are required for both indoor ceremonies.
- Tickets: No tickets are required to attend the ceremony if it is outdoors. Seating is available on a first-come, first-serve basis. To help ensure a smooth start to the program, visitors are asked to be seated no later than 10:30 a.m. Seating is on bleachers without backs. If the ceremony is moved indoors due to weather, tickets will be required. Each graduate will receive tickets for their guests and ONLY TICKET HOLDERS WILL BE PERMITTED INTO THE FIELD HOUSE. The number of tickets each graduate receives will be determined and announced in late April based on total number of graduates. Tickets will be distributed at the university bookstore. Identification is required to pick up tickets and graduates must sign that they are in receipt of tickets. NO TICKETS WILL BE MAILED. Tickets do not gaurantee a specific seat as seating is on a first-come, first-serve basis. A "will-call" arrangement is available for graduates unable to visit the bookstore before May 11. Graduates should email firstname.lastname@example.org requesting tickets held in the graduates name for pick-up. If the graduate wishes to have a family member pick the tickets up, then that specific family member's name must be indicated as well. Identification is needed. Alternate viewing locations, such as the Ceddia Union Building, will be available and identified if the ceremony is moved indoors.
- Parking: Parking will be restricted to designated areas. Shippensburg University Police will direct family and guests to parking areas. Handicap parking will be available behind Heiges Field House.
- Admission: Gates to Seth Grove Stadium open at 9:00 a.m. for guests. Light refreshments will be available. The academic procession begins promptly at 11:00 a.m.; the ceremony should end by 1:00 p.m. If the ceremony is moved indoors, guests are asked to be seated 30 minutes prior to the start of their respective ceremony.
- Guests with special needs: Graduates should make seating arrangements for guests with special needs in writing by May 3. This request must be made by the graduate from his or her ship.edu email account and sent to email@example.com. Please include the guest’s name and the name of one person who will sit with him/her. An interpreter (signer) will be at the ceremony.
- Restrooms: Restrooms are located under the grandstand and may be accessed at either end only. Additional restrooms are adjacent to the visitor bleachers. If needed, upon arrival to campus, restrooms are also available in the Ceddia Union Building.
- University Store: Store hours on May 11 are 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Photographs: Family and guests are not permitted on the field or near the stage to photograph students. A professional photographer from GradImages will photograph each graduate as he or she receives congratulations from President Carter. The firm will contact the graduates by mail concerning interest in purchasing photos. The firm’s website is gradimages.com. To pre-register for commencement proofs and receive a coupon, visit gradimages.com/preregistration.
- Alternate viewing: The ceremony will be streamed on ship.edu and broadcast off campus via the local Comcast cable system on channel 21.
- Flowers: You may purchase flowers for your graduate at commencement or pre-order at thecommencementgroup.com/shippensburg. The flower sale is sponsored by the Shippensburg University Men’s & Women’s Swim Team.
- Alcohol: Possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited. Beverages will be confiscated and violators will be evicted from the facility.
For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.