The History Minor: A Practical and Convenient Choice
The History Minor provides an excellent way for students in other majors to explore their interest in history while developing the research, writing, and critical thinking skills sought by employers and graduate schools.
The minor is eighteen (18) credits, thus requiring only a total of six courses. For many students, six of those eighteen credits may be completed as part of the university's general education requirements. This means that for most students, they can complete the History minor by taking one 200-level and three 300-level History classes.
History Minor Requirements
- History 105: Foundations of Global Cultures
- History 106: Thinking Historically in a Global Ag
- Hstory 201: Early History of the United States
or History 202: Recent History of the United States
- One 300-level European History course
- One 300-level United States History course
- One 300-level course in the history of Africa/Asia/Latin American/or the Middle East
The Philosophy Minor: A Great Way to Sharpen Your Critical Thinking and Analytical Skills
The Shippensburg University Philosophy minor provides a great way to learn about the history of Western Philosophy, to explore ethical issues, and to develop high-level critical thinking and logic skills.
Philosophy Minor Requirements
The Philosophy Minor is an eighteen (18) credit program:
- Philosophy 248 History of Ancient Philosophy
or Philosophy 249: History of Modern Philosophy
- Philosophy 210: Ethics
or Philosophy 340: Contemporary Ethics
- One 200-level Philosophy course (not PHL 248 or PHL 249)
- One 300-level Philosophy course
- Two additional Philosophy course at any level
Declaring A History or Philosophy Minor
To declare the minor, you only need to complete the Minor Declaration form and bring it to the History/Philosophy Department Office at 122-124 Dauphin Humanities Center.
If you have any questions about the History or Philosophy minor, feel free to contact the History/Philosophy Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.