Mission, Vision and Goals
The Department of Music and Theatre Arts seeks to enrich the performing arts culture of Shippensburg University and the surrounding region through public performances and educational outreach by its students, faculty, and guest artists. The faculty provides opportunities for students of all majors to enhance their knowledge and skill through participation in a wide variety of academic/performance courses and university ensembles. It offers programs that prepare students for lifelong participation in music and theatre.
The Department of Music and Theatre Arts continues to build on the traditions of the past and explore the possibilities for future growth in instruction and curriculum, university planning, faculty diversity and development, and in public/university performance.
- Provide a quality undergraduate academic learning experience for all students.
- Provide a learning environment that cultivates critical thinking.
- Maintain and enhance departmental instruction through the hiring of highly qualified, motivated, and diverse faculty committed to arts education.
- Provide lifelong enrichment experiences through course offerings, ensemble performances and tour opportunities for all students regardless of major.
- Promote student retention through ensemble participation.
- Provide concert and theatrical performances for the campus and regional communities.
- To offer dynamic liberal arts minors in music and theatre that complement other academic disciplines.
- Ensure that all facets of the music and theatre arts programs are current, appropriate, and effective through a process of planning, analysis and evaluation.