Resources for Faculty Teaching Online
Moving from face-to-face to online teaching
- The University of South Wales College of Fine Arts (UNSW COFA) has produced a series of “Learning to Teach Online” videos. Topics include “Planning your online class,” “Engaging and motivating students,” “Conducting effective online discussions,” “Considerations for choosing technology for teaching,” and “Online teamwork and collaboration.” They also include case studies and introductions to various technologies (e.g., Twitter, Blogger, Audacity). Find the full series here: http://online.cofa.unsw.edu.au/learning-to-teach-online/ltto-episodes
- Preparing to Develop and Teach Online and Blended Courses - A list of questions to ask yourself when preparing to move your current face-to-face class online.
- Ten Ways to Make Your D2L Courses More Accessible - Published by Montana State University. There are laws that require your class to be accessible to students with disabilities. This article will tell you how to do that.
- Top 10 Rules for Developing Your First Online Course - Short article published in Faculty Focus.
- Faculty Self-Assessment: Preparing for Online Teaching - Quiz based on Penn State's Faculty Competencies for Online Teaching with an assessment about whether you are ready for online teaching. Also provides links to resources.
- Questions to Ask About Your Distance Learning Course - Checklist from Montana State University that contains questions to consider before setting up your online class.
- Putting a Course Online - A basic article about whether and how to move a course online. From Montana State University.
- Assessing Online Facilitation - An instrument developed by Humboldt State University to help you assess your facilitation of a current or past online class.
- Seven Principles For Good Practice in Undergraduate Education - Article published in 1987 that is a seminal work in the education field. Recommended reading before accessing the next resource.
- Applying the Seven Principles for Good Practice to the Online Classroom - Article published in 2013 updating the Seven Principles to apply them to the online classroom.
- Pedagogy and Learning - A list of online resources collated by the Illinois Online Network.
- Copyright Crash Course - An online course by the University of Texas Libraries to teach faculty about copyright issues--with an emphasis on online courses.
- TEACH Act Highlights and Resources - A resource put together by the Montana State University for faculty to help them understand the TEACH Act (which deals with "academic use" of copyrighted materials).
- Twenty Years of Research on the Academic Performance Differences Between Traditional and Distance Learning: Summative Meta-Analysis and Trend Examination - An academic paper that compares the academic performance of students in distance education courses, relative to
those enrolled in traditional settings, as demonstrated by their final course grades/scores,
over a 20-year period. Published in MERLOT Journal of Online Learning and Teaching.
- Evidence-Based Practices in Online Learning: A Meta-Analysis and Review of Online Learning Studies - Report from the US Department of Education that reviewed a thousand empirical studies of online learning from 1996 through July 2008.
- Brain-Based Online Learning Design - Summary of a brain-based online course design model based on a meta-analysis of more than 300 articles. Published in Faculty Focus.
- Eight Roles of an Effective Online Teacher - Delineates the eight roles of an effective online teacher. Published in Faculty Focus.
- How is Online Teaching Different? - Short video produced by Kent State University.
- How the Online Environment Impacts the Instructor Role - A side-by-side comparison of 10 items and how they change from a face-to-face class to an online one. Produced by Kent State University.
- Preparing for Your First Day - A one-page infographic with reminders about how to start an online class effectively. Produced by Kent State University.
- Tips for Teaching Online - A basic primer for moving to online teaching. Produced by West Virginia University.
- Tips for Effective Online Teaching - A one-page infographic for best practices for teaching online. Produced by University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
Engaging students online
- How Faculty Can Support Learner Success - Summary of work of Tony Bates, author of 11 books and 350 research papers in the field of online learning and distance education.
- How to Prepare and Moderate Online Discussions for Online Learning - Guidance about the special requirements for ensuring, not only that the quality of online discussion is high, but that all, or nearly all, student are participating.
- Online Teaching Activity List - Links to numerous activities for use in online classrooms. Curated by the Illinois Online Network.
- Learning Effectiveness Online: What the Research Tells Us (pp. 5-18) - Literature review on the learning effectiveness of asynchronous online environments (published in 2003).
- What Makes a Remarkable Online Course? - Course teaching and facilitation recommendations from faculty at Arizona State University.
- Discussing Discussion Boards - [video] Instructional designers from Arizona State Universityreflect on the purpose and role of asynchronous online discussion activities, discuss how to develop an effective discussion prompt/question in alignment with course objectives, and describe strategies for maximizing the administrative efficiency of online discussions.
- Asynchronous Discussions: Importance, Design, Facilitation, Evaluation - A short course on how to effectively use asynchronous discussion boards in an online class. Presented by the University of Illinois.
- What Students Value in Online Courses - Results from a survey of Montana State University students and faculty about what's important in an online course.
- Ideas for Active Online Learning - An instructional technologist at Georgia Perimeter College provides ideas for active learning in online courses. Published in Faculty Focus.
- Instructional Strategies for Online Courses - Ideas for how to use multiple instructional strategies in online courses. Compiled by Illinois Online Network.
- Eight Ways To Get Students More Engaged in On-Line Conferences - Written in 1998, but still relevant. Written by a Texas A&M professor.
- Quizzing and Testing On the Internet - Issues to reflect on when considering online quizzing and testing.
Open Courseware and Learning Objects
- MIT OpenCourseware - Entire courses offered by MIT. Offers a portal for faculty that includes access to teaching notes and materials.
- Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching (MERLOT) - A curated community of online learning and support materials and content creation tools.
- Digital Library for Earth System Education (DLESE) - A repository of links to exercises, activities, and resources on a variety of topics.
- TeacherTube - An online community for sharing instructional videos. The site provides professional development with teachers teaching teachers and provides a place where teachers can post videos designed for students to view in order to learn a concept or skill.
Implementing technology in online classes
- How to Use Videoconferencing for Effective Teaching - Videos and PDFs about how to effectively use videoconferencing.
- Learning and the World of “Apps” - A list of apps for education (2015).
- It’s All About Design! - Tips and best practices for designing an online course.
- Planning for Effective Teaching with Technology - Considerations for integrating technology into your classroom.
- Ten Guiding Principles for the Use of Technology in Learning - Definitions of technology and guiding principles for using it in the classroom (published by TeachOnline Canada).
- Top 200 Tools for Learning 2017 - A list of tools used for learning, subdivided into three categories: Top 100 Tools for Personal & Professional Learning (PPL) 2017, Top 100 Tools for Workplace Learning (WPL) 2017, and Top 100 Tools for Education (EDU) 2017. Includes links to more information about each tool.
- Integrating Technology with Bloom’s Taxonomy - An overview of Bloom's DIgital Taxonomy, which informs instructors of how to use technology and digital tools to facilitate student learning experiences and outcomes.
- ECAR National Study of Undergraduate Students and Information Technology 2011 - Student use and perceptions of technology using a stratified random sample of students.
- Free Video Capturing Applications - [video] Reviews several free tools for capturing video.
- Social Media in Online Higher Education: Implementing Live Twitter Chat Discussion Sessions - How to use Twitter to facilitate live discussions in online classes.
- Social Media for Teaching and Learning - Results of a survey conducted by Pearson of 8,000 faculty on how they use social media (2013).
- Podcasting - How to get started podcasting for your online class.
- Engaging Learners with Technology - Instructional development guidelines for using technologies for active learning, expanded learning resources, mix of media and method tied tolearning objectives, and learner motivation.
- Tips to Effectively Search the Internet - A list of tips helpful for faculty or students who want to search more effectively.
- Must-Read Books about Online Teaching - A list compiled by TeachOnline Canada.
- Learning in the Modern Workplace - A blog with original content and curated news about workplace learning.
- EvoLLLution - An online newspaper devoted to the non-traditional postsecondary space. Can subscribe to a weekly digest.
- Arizona State University’s Teach Online - A collection of resources for faculty teaching online.
- Centre for Distance Education (Athabasca University) - Resources for faculty teaching online, including MOOCs for faculty and students.
- Theory and Practice of Online Learning (book) - A 450-page book published by Athabasca University in 2004.
- Teaching Online: Recommended Reading - A list compiled by Montana State University.
- EDUCAUSE Review - Open-access digital and bimonthly print publication for the higher education IT community.
- eLearn Magazine - An open-access, blind peer-reviewed publication at the intersection of eLearning research and practice with practical implications for higher education, K-12, corporate, government, and not-for-profit contexts.
- International Journal of Instructional Technology and Distance Learning - A monthly, refereed, and global journal of research and innovation in teaching and learning.
- International Journal on E-Learning - An online resource for aggregated, peer-reviewed research on the latest developments and applications in Learning and Technology. Abstracts are available for free; individual articles are available for purchase.
- The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning - A refereed, open access e-journal that disseminates original research, theory, and best practice in open and distributed learning worldwide.
- Journal of Interactive Online Learning - A scholarly, peer-reviewed online journal about interactive online learning.
- Journal of Online Learning and Teaching - A peer-reviewed, open-access, online publication that aims to promote scholarship in the use of the Internet and web-based multimedia resources in higher education.
- Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration - A free, quarterly, peer-reviewed electronic journal with specific focus or implications for the management of distance education programs.
- THE Journal: Transforming Education Through Technology - Dedicated to informing and educating K-12 senior-level district and school administrators, technologists, and tech-savvy educators within districts, schools, and classrooms to improve and advance the learning process through the use of technology. (Has pop-up ads.)
- Faculty Focus - E-newsletter and dedicated website providing effective teaching strategies for the college classroom — face-to-face, online, blended, or flipped.
- American Journal of Distance Education - Research and scholarship in the field of American distance education.
Campus Technology Magazine - Delivering information via a daily site, monthly digital magazine, newsletters, webinars and online tools. Provides in-depth coverage on the technologies and implementations influencing colleges and universities across the nation. (Has pop-up ads.)
Distance Education Report - Online seminars, publications, conferences and other products that support higher education faculty and staff development.
Interdisciplinary Journal of e-Skills and Lifelong Learning - A peer-reviewed journal that publishes scholarly articles on the development of e-skills and lifelong learning.
Books (not free; some available as e-books)
- Moving to Online: Making the Transition From Traditional Instruction and Communication Strategies (book)
- Empowering Online Learning: 100+ Activities for Reading, Reflecting, Displaying, and Doing (book)
- The Online Teaching Survival Guide-Simple and Practical Pedagogical Tips (book)
- Teaching Online: A Practical Guide (book)
- Managing Online Instructor Workload: Strategies for Finding Balance and Success (book)
- Creating a Sense of Presence in Online Teaching: How to "Be There" for Distance Learners (book)
- Building Online Learning Communities: Effective Strategies for the Virtual Classroom (book)
- Essential Elements: Prepare, Design, and Teach Your Online Course (book)
- Online Learning Consortium
- eLearning Centre - A clearinghouse for e-learning companies, advice, courses and resources for online education and training.