Bachelor of Social Work
Degree Completion Program | Harrisburg, PA
Shippensburg University’s Department of Social Work and Gerontology offers students the opportunity to continue their journey in our Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree completion program at the Dixon University Center (DUC) in Harrisburg, PA. The BSW Cohort offers small classes for an inclusive, experiential learning environment that promotes collaboration between peers and expert faculty.
The BSW Degree Completion Program is designed for students who:
- Have completed an associate’s degree or earned at least 48 transferable credits with a minimum 2.40 GPA
- Want to complete all courses in Harrisburg
- Desire an evening course schedule
- Want a quality education at an affordable cost
- Want to earn a degree within 2.5 years, depending on their schedule
BSW Cohort Information Sessions at HACC:
*Please note, the application fee will be waived for those who attend an information session.
Join our interest list, and we'll notify you of future information sessions:
Students must have an associate degree or at least 48 transferable credits (60 credits preferred) with a minimum 2.40 GPA from all work previously completed at regionally accredited institutions.
Students must have completed the following courses (either at Shippensburg University or another regionally accredited institution) prior to starting the cohort. The BSW Cohort provides social work courses required to complete a BSW degree. Students must take all other required credits, including general education courses and electives at Ship's main campus or other accredited institutions, such as HACC, which offer courses equivalent to Shippensburg courses.
Please see course equivalents below:
- SWK 102 Social Work in Social Welfare (HACC course equivalent = HUMS 120)
- SWK 250 Assessing Individuals in the Social Environment (HACC course equivalent = HUMS 206)
- SWK 265 Understanding Diversity for Social Work Practice (HACC course equivalent = SOC 205)
- PLS 100: US Government & Politics must be completed before Spring semester 2022 (HACC course equivalent = GP 201 or GP 203)
- By the start of the cohort, you must be eligible to take a college-level statistics course. MAT 117 Applied Statistics (HACC= MATH202)
Every BSW Cohort student must complete a 450 hour field education experience that will include interning in a social service agency for 22-24 hours per week from July 2022 through December 2022.
Please note: Maximum capacity for the 2020 cohort is 25 students. A minimum of 20 students will be required to begin this cohort in Harrisburg. Students will be notified if the minimum enrollment has/has not been met.
BSW Cohort Information & Course Schedules
- BSW 2018 Cohort Schedule & Course Information
- BSW 2016 Cohort Schedule & Course Information
- Important Contacts & Helpful Information
BSW Cohort Application
Complete the Undergraduate Application to apply.
For more information on applying to Shippensburg University, visit the Admissions page.
- The admissions deadline is 2020.
- Maximum capacity is 25 students. A minimum of 20 students will be required to begin this cohort in Harrisburg.
Log in to your MyShip Portal using your Ship email address and password to register for courses in this program.
Information about tuition, fees, paying your bill, and the refund and withdraw policies are available on the Student Accounts page.
For additional questions regarding tuition and financial aid, contact the Financial Aid Office.
If you are receiving financial assistance from your employer to pay your tuition and/or fees, you must complete the Employer Reimbursement Tuition Deferment Application.
Status of Admissions Application & Transfer Academic Advisement
Damian Morales, Office of Admissions
(717) 477-1231 or 1-800-822-8028 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Program Questions & Academic Advising
Dr. Liz Fisher, Professor, Department of Social Work & Gerontology
BSW Cohort in Harrisburg Program Coordinator
(717) 477-1365 | email@example.com
Office of Professional, Continuing, and Distance Education
Horton Hall 108, 1871 Old Main Drive, Shippensburg, PA 17257
(717) 477-1502 | firstname.lastname@example.org