BSW Cohort Important Information and Contacts
Advising questions & issues, general program questions
Dr. Liz Fisher
BSW Program Director
Program questions, appeals, general assistance
Dr. Deborah Jacobs
Chair, Dept. of Social Work & Gerontology
General inquiries & information about Dixon University Center
Interim Assistant Dean
Office of Professional, Continuing
& Distance Education (PCDE)
717.477.1123 ext. 3274
Financial aid questions
Associate Director, Financial Aid
- PLS 100: US Gov.’t & Politics must be completed by the end of Spring semester 2018. (HACC = GP 201 or GP 203)
- The BSW Cohort provides the social work courses required to complete a BSW degree. Students must take all other required credits, including general education courses and electives at the SU main campus or other accredited institutions, such as HACC, that offer courses equivalent to S.U. courses. These courses must be completed by the end of the Spring 2018 semester unless approved by Dr. Fisher and Dean Johnson.
- Every BSW Cohort student must complete a 450 hour field education experience that will include interning in a social service agency for 22-24 hours per week from July through December 2018.
What do I need to do in order to take courses at HACC and Ship at the same time?
If you plan to use financial aid to pay for HACC classes, you need to contact Dr. Liz Fisher, BSW Program Director, email@example.com and let her know which courses you have registered for at HACC. Then Dr. Fisher submits a form to the SU financial aid office so that your aid can be processed for the combined number of credits between both schools. HACC requires their bill to be paid by the due date or you may contact their Student Accounts office to inquire about payment arrangements. You will need to have your HACC transcript sent to SU as soon as grades are available from the class(es) you are taking so that the courses show up on your SU transcript.
Ship.edu – Select myShip, then enter your email address and password. Access your transcripts, scheduling, payments and other helpful information.
Desire 2 Learn (D2L) – D2L is the online course management system for SU. You will use it in face to face as well as online and hybrid courses.
BSW Degree Completion Program – course schedule, general information
BSW Program at SU – program descriptions (BSW & MSW), handbook, advising info, faculty info, field info
PA Transfer and Articulation Center (PA TRAC) – transfer information, course equivalencies across PA
S.U. Transfer Course Equivalencies – look up classes to see how they transfer from other institutions to SU, including HACC
SU Library – Off campus students have access to the library databases and services.
If you request books from the library, it is possible to have them shipped, however keep in mind there will be a delay due to shipping time. If you want this option you need to request shipping in the comments section.
There are evening and weekend library hours (Reminder: You will need you Ship ID)
SU Bookstore – Students can find out which texts they need for class and order texts through the SU Bookstore to be shipped or picked up. Call the University Store at (717) 477-1569 for information.
http://www.bkstr.com/shippensburgstore/shop/textbooks-and-course-materials. To receive Free Shipping: write 'BSW Cohort' in the comment section. *You must include this comment to get free shipping.
SU Learning Center – there are support services available for off-campus students, particularly related to written assignments. Contact the Learning Center directly for more information.
http://learning.ship.edu/home. Peter Scheer, Current Tutor can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dixon University Center - http://www.dixonuniversitycenter.org/
SU Severe Winter Weather Policy – If the Dixon University Center is closed, classes are cancelled. If Shippensburg University is closed, classes are cancelled even if Dixon University Center is open.
SU I.D. & Parking Permit
How do I get my SU Identification (ID) Card?
You can obtain a Shippensburg University Identification Card at the Police Station on Campus. The following times are for the academic semester and we will let you know if they change.
- Monday – 1:00 PM to 7:00 PM
- Tuesday – 8:30 AM to Noon & 3:30 PM to 7:00 PM
- Wednesday – 8:30 AM to Noon & 1:00 PM to 7:00 PM
- Thursday – 8:30 AM to Noon & 3:30 PM to 7:00 PM
- Friday – 8:30 AM to Noon & 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM
How do I obtain a parking permit?
If you have a Shippensburg University email address and an SU ID card, you can register for a parking permit through myShip. *You do not need a parking permit at the Dixon University Center*